home made percussion caps

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok gents, I took afishunters advise. I couldn't find caps localy so I ordered some super bang caps. I use a multi hole punch from my tool box to punch the caps, they fit nice n tight, tried 4 loads no powder just the made caps. A 1,2,3 and 4 cap trial. First was weak second not bad third quite good but the last with 4 caps was very near factory strong. Yes a little time consuming but when there are none we can still shoot, and like a wise man said safer. Paper in the nipple was no worse than a factory cap and a WHOLE LOT LESS TO CLEAN UP.....MUCH CLEANER than prime all!!!View attachment 3393
thank you so much for posting!

Yeah, I couldn't wait so I went scrounging through the recycle bin and found a Pepsi can.

caps-M.jpg

They're not pretty, but they fit the nipples on my rifles and hold on securely. With the prime-all mixture deposited in them, I have no reason to think they wouldn't work.
pretty isn't always better, they can be made and it will work!! thank you.

Hilander, I go to TinToyArcade.com $7.98 for 1200 shots. I ordered 2400 shots or 4 tubes. 6 rolls per tube 1200 shots that multi hole punch is the cats a$$ pick the size to fit tightly n spray lightly with cheap hair spray for weather proofing.

TONY CALP, has a rely great site. where on earth did you fin it? I have never heard of him before?

Well I have made 75 caps from a pie tin (aluminum) found to be very soft so I folded dbbl. the next try, nice and strong. I do not drink soft drinks or hardly any canned beer so I'll wait to try that, I brew my own so I use bottles.
I have found a trick for loose caps, get a drill index and push the finished cap into the 13/64" hole, after the hair spray for anti-damp caps, and you now have the fit of a #10 cap for revolvers and slimmer metric nipples.

I have used mine that I got from MANNY, CA. I think I paid around, $50, for it. and I won't get rid or sell it. it work's real fine.

I've been experimenting with the diy caps. I have the punch and the primer mix, it is touchy but can be done. The hardest part is charging the cap and attention MUST BE KEPT while mixing the primer compounds to avoid lumps as the man says, cause they don't mix correctly if all is not a smooth mix. Hence a crappy cap, but I think only a 1/3 measure is a weak cap, I will put in a bit more for a better flash but not alot more. I also made a small funnel from a 223 remington brass I found at the range, split the neck narrow it down around a scratch awl and soldered it's seam and now chargeing is a breeze. I will put some cheep hair spray in them to stop primer loss and wet proof them. Easy to spray....drill a paint stick with a # 3 drill set the caps in charge n pack primer let dry spray lightly store in your tin.

Attachments

• Homemade Primer Course 2019-06-28.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 0
Back