home made percussion caps

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been experimenting with the diy caps. I have the punch and the primer mix, it is touchy but can be done. The hardest part is charging the cap and attention MUST BE KEPT while mixing the primer compounds to avoid lumps as the man says, cause they don't mix correctly if all is not a smooth mix. Hence a crappy cap, but I think only a 1/3 measure is a weak cap, I will put in a bit more for a better flash but not alot more. I also made a small funnel from a 223 remington brass I found at the range, split the neck narrow it down around a scratch awl and soldered it's seam and now chargeing is a breeze. I will put some cheep hair spray in them to stop primer loss and wet proof them. Easy to spray....drill a paint stick with a # 3 drill set the caps in charge n pack primer let dry spray lightly store in your tin.

After forming the cap, why not fit the "pop"/"bang" part of a roll of paper cap gun caps?
No need to mix priming agents or chemicals, and a helluva lot safer.

That will be after I use up the mix. I have read that the paper can plug the nipple, and heard the opposite to. Right now it is the experiment that is in play, functionality will tell which is the better of the two. Reliability depends on correct amounts, proper mixing, proper filling (which is a pain) correct packing and weather proofing of the bang stuff. A lot of fussing around, caps take care of most of that as I have read, still it has it's place if they tighten down on ammo and components they can't tighten down on pie tins and soda cans.

After forming the cap, why not fit the "pop"/"bang" part of a roll of paper cap gun caps?
No need to mix priming agents or chemicals, and a helluva lot safer.
ROGER THAT. it is what I do with my TAP A CAP. percussion cap maker / former.

That will be after I use up the mix. I have read that the paper can plug the nipple, and heard the opposite to. Right now it is the experiment that is in play, functionality will tell which is the better of the two. Reliability depends on correct amounts, proper mixing, proper filling (which is a pain) correct packing and weather proofing of the bang stuff. A lot of fussing around, caps take care of most of that as I have read, still it has it's place if they tighten down on ammo and components they can't tighten down on pie tins and soda cans.
if the nipple get's pugged up after using paper, ever heard of a thing called a nipple pick.? it is used with metal percussion caps all the time. that is why it s called a nipple pick. JMHO.

Timely. I got the #11 cap maker and a bag of prime all from Sharpshooter today. Last week I got 2000 CCI caps in the mail and I have no soda cans in the house so it will be a while until I make some. The cap maker is very well made, by the way.

Erid1514, while you are waiting for your can try a pie plate or lg roasting pan for practice. Look for a way to have a small funnel I used a 223 brass shell split the neck fold in around an awl to size it makes filling easier.
coupe

Erid1514, while you are waiting for your can try a pie plate or lg roasting pan for practice. Look for a way to have a small funnel I used a 223 brass shell split the neck fold in around an awl to size it makes filling easier.
coupe
Yeah, I couldn't wait so I went scrounging through the recycle bin and found a Pepsi can.

caps-M.jpg

They're not pretty, but they fit the nipples on my rifles and hold on securely. With the prime-all mixture deposited in them, I have no reason to think they wouldn't work.

They look like mine except pie tins are thinner and bust up pretty good when fired, can't wait to try a soda can. They hold on to all the nipples I have, don't seem to have to crimp to stay on. I think 1/3 of small measure is a little light of a charge so I've been going to abt. half measure and the tests have a bang close to factory caps. trying to put a drop of clear nail polish for weather proofing but cheap aerosol hair spray would be better I believe, we'll see.

They look like mine except pie tins are thinner and bust up pretty good when fired, can't wait to try a soda can. They hold on to all the nipples I have, don't seem to have to crimp to stay on. I think 1/3 of small measure is a little light of a charge so I've been going to abt. half measure and the tests have a bang close to factory caps. trying to put a drop of clear nail polish for weather proofing but cheap aerosol hair spray would be better I believe, we'll see.
The instructions that came with my punch say to completely fill the cap with the prime-all mixture and then add one drop of acetone. I guess the acetone makes the mixture settle and glues it to the aluminum. I would imagine that's gonna make for a big bang. Sounds like maybe half full would work?

I made some scoops from used small and large primers glued to a small stick. Makes a good measure and easy to load the caps. I do like the paint stir stick holder much better than my masking tape. 7/32 drill does great. Hair spray is an idea to try also. Acetone did not hold-up to time, over 1 1/2 years.

Yeah, I couldn't wait so I went scrounging through the recycle bin and found a Pepsi can.

caps-M.jpg

They're not pretty, but they fit the nipples on my rifles and hold on securely. With the prime-all mixture deposited in them, I have no reason to think they wouldn't work.
KUDDO'S TO YAH!! get ER done!!

I've been experimenting with the diy caps. I have the punch and the primer mix, it is touchy but can be done. The hardest part is charging the cap and attention MUST BE KEPT while mixing the primer compounds to avoid lumps as the man says, cause they don't mix correctly if all is not a smooth mix. Hence a crappy cap, but I think only a 1/3 measure is a weak cap, I will put in a bit more for a better flash but not alot more. I also made a small funnel from a 223 remington brass I found at the range, split the neck narrow it down around a scratch awl and soldered it's seam and now chargeing is a breeze. I will put some cheep hair spray in them to stop primer loss and wet proof them. Easy to spray....drill a paint stick with a # 3 drill set the caps in charge n pack primer let dry spray lightly store in your tin.
every one just hates a CRAPPY CAP! how do you form the 223 neck around a scratch awl? can you post a finished funnel?

just slit the neck and fold over then shrink around an awl end with needle nose pliers. I soldered the slit just for a seal. I cut the butt of the shell off with a tubing cutter and de burred it20210310_114554.jpg

I forgot eric1514, my step # 9 states small scoop 1/3 full for each cap.....to weak I think full and pack with acetone let dry then a fast and light spray of cheap hair spray. right now I'm useing clear nail polish.

Ok gents, I took afishunters advise. I couldn't find caps localy so I ordered some super bang caps. I use a multi hole punch from my tool box to punch the caps, they fit nice n tight, tried 4 loads no powder just the made caps. A 1,2,3 and 4 cap trial. First was weak second not bad third quite good but the last with 4 caps was very near factory strong. Yes a little time consuming but when there are none we can still shoot, and like a wise man said safer. Paper in the nipple was no worse than a factory cap and a WHOLE LOT LESS TO CLEAN UP.....MUCH CLEANER than prime all!!!IMG_7093.JPG

Back