Help With Stock Finish

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Applied the stripper, let set for a bit over an hour.
Wiped it all off, the wiped it all down with Acetone.
Seems to have worked well.
Tomorrow I will sand and then apply a coat of stain.

Well I just put applied the first coat of Tom's 1/3rd.
Will apply a second coat in the morning and at night will put this thing back together.

Well, it is done and the rifle back together.
Looks pretty much the same as before.
Oh well, I am hoping it is a shooter more than a looker.

49479862873_dde7c548be_c.jpg

My favorite Mt. Rifle still shoots a one hole group at 50 with 70g 3f Goex or 80g 2f Goex. .490 swaged roundball, 0.016 ticking and CCI cap. Yours will probably do the same at +/- 10g powder charge. Lubes I've used that work fine in my rifle are: WonderLube1000, mutton tallow, bear grease all work well for multiple shots. WL needs to be slathered on the powder side of the patch, but you can shoot all day without cleaning the bore if you do. Enjoy!

That is now a very appealing rifle and I like it. Is the hardware steel or blackened brass?

That is now a very appealing rifle and I like it. Is the hardware steel or blackened brass?
The Mtn. Rifle came with either brass or pewter for the nose cap; this probably has the pewter. The first one I had, I was able to get a dark finish on the nose cap, although after 35 years I don't remember how I did it! The trigger guard and but plate were cast steel, while the escutcheons for the steel barrel wedges were brass, just like Hylander's.

black out that patch box and the wedge key plates! That really would give it an awesome antique look. It will wear off, but thats the good thing. Makes it look authentic.

black out that patch box and the wedge key plates! That really would give it an awesome antique look. It will wear off, but thats the good thing. Makes it look authentic.

What do I use to blacken them ?

Also where might I find a Buckhorn sight?

www.deercreekproducts.net look for the cva bobcat rear sight.

Birchwood casey black out works great. Also heard of folks using barrel bluing agent to age these parts but have never tried it myself.

What do I use to blacken them ?

Also where might I find a Buckhorn sight?
I found mine on ebay, Marbles front and rear white dot/diamond, also Midway has them. Hell I LIKE shiny brass! but then I also like chrome on cars. " Women like diamonds but a man likes chrome" or so I was told LOL.

I have two rifles mounted with brass but decided I didn't particularly want shiny or even dull. I took some BC cold blue and LO and Behold it turned the brass BLACK! It looks like iron and so far wears very well. As time goes by (can it do otherwise?) The durability of the finish will be tested.

Back