Stock finish change

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
was looking at my two .58 cal Renegades and I decided to finish one of the stocks to see what it would look like. I prefer the darker duller finished stocks over the glossy factory ones.
Both stocks were identical at the start. Now the bottom one is the factory finish and the top is my newly finished one.
It was simply a complete removal of the factory finish, a dark walnut Minwax stain and sealer and couple coats of Johnson's paste wax. I also reblued some of the hardware that was getting shabby.20230611_143429.jpg

Can anyone tell me how Lyman got their stocks so dark? I really like the looks of the stocks on the GPRs. If I can get a stock that dark I may just do the other Renegade that way.

Tung oil would be alot darker, most ones I redo is tung oiled then sealed later after it soaked in awhile.

was looking at my two .58 cal Renegades and I decided to finish one of the stocks to see what it would look like. I prefer the darker duller finished stocks over the glossy factory ones.
Both stocks were identical at the start. Now the bottom one is the factory finish and the top is my newly finished one.
It was simply a complete removal of the factory finish, a dark walnut Minwax stain and sealer and couple coats of Johnson's paste wax. I also reblued some of the hardware that was getting shabby.View attachment 35194
Nice finish work. Looks more natural. :thumb:

i was wanting to stain a birch stock to match my lyman gpr. nothing i tried that is currently on the market would come close.
i found a stain and finish kit in a antique store. it was Beverley's finishing kit. made in Bakersfield CA in the early 60's. defunct for years.
had a one ounce bottle of stain. a quarter of the bottle did the birch full length up nice. no idea what their formulation was, but the EPA would probably stroke out if they saw me using it.
the stain smells strongly of walnut husk.

Latest posts

Back