Help me decide on new muzzy!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KRB7

Choc Dog,

My Knight Rolling Block will roll into Encoreland and take no prisioners.

Maybe it's time to get a divorce from the Knight family and marry into the T/C clan... A new Triumph is in the $400 range, and is a super gun at a super price. :yeah:

buckyboy1860 said:
Maybe it's time to get a divorce from the Knight family and marry into the T/C clan... A new Triumph is in the $400 range, and is a super gun at a super price. :yeah:

Im sure it is a super gun! My knights (3 of them) have all shot so good that I am having a hard time wanting to switch to a T/C gun.

By the way I am breaking out my old CVA plainsman 50 cal tomorrow with 90 grains of real blackpowder and a round ball in an attempt to take a doe on our last day of doe only season! I sure hope I see one tomorrow!

Doohan said:
Good Luck!!!

Keep us posted

We just got back! Had a blast today. When we first got there the 3 of us drove a tall grass field where deer like to bed down. Half way through a very nice 8 pointer jumped up no more than 30 yards in front of me! I couldnt shoot because its doe only (I had a hard time restraining myself trust me).

Well anyway we finally get settled into our spots for the evening and not 15 minutes later I hear my father shoot (God I love the sound of a REAL blackpowder gun!). He got on the 2 way radio and said he dropped a big doe in her tracks and it is kicking around and told me he couldnt get the second ball down the barrel.

So my cousin go over there (he is much closer to my father than I am) and they start looking for the deer. As my father was trying to reload the deer got up and moved out of sight. They found a big puddle of blood thrown all over the place from it kicking on the ground. The blood ran out only 10 yards beyond where the shot was and we never found her. I felt so bad for my father! He was so excited knowing he dropped her with his old gun instead of his NEF Huntsman.

He said it was about a 50 to 60 yard shot and we were useing 90 grains of blackpowder and a round ball. He is pretty sure he hit her right square in the shoulder. He said she reared up and backwards right onto her back then layed there and thrashed around. He figured she was down for the count and I did to. I wonder how a round ball would react on a deer at 60 yards shot in the shoulder? Do you guys think it penetrated good enough for a kill? Deer unless they are slammed pretty hard in a good spot dont normaly react like that.

That roundball would have no problem penetrating at that distance. I saw deer do the same thing as you describe, but they never got back up. I would guess with all that blood, the deer is probably close by. Its a shame it was not found.

cayuga said:
That roundball would have no problem penetrating at that distance. I saw deer do the same thing as you describe, but they never got back up. I would guess with all that blood, the deer is probably close by. Its a shame it was not found.

Thats what I was thinking too. We searched and searched. He was hunting a wood line leading into some thickets so thick that we couldnt go in it. I have a feeling it made its way into those thickets. I may try and figure out a way to get myself into them tomorrow morning. Its going to be in the upper 40's tonight so it should still be good if we find her.

BTW he said he heard her make a weird whining noise twice. I have only ever heard a deer do that once in all the years I have been hunting.

Alright my mind is maid up I think. A local guy has a 4 year old omega in stainless with camo stock and it has a Nikon buckmasters silver scope and silver weaver rings and it has a camo sling. It is in mint condition and he wants $350.

That sound about right price wise I think?

Inspect the bore... If clean and in good shape .. that is a pretty good deal!

Wallyworld has t-hole syn/blue for $298 sans scope, rings and bases ...

Doohan said:
hmmm.....

You have a decision to make..

Omega or Elite. 8)

ELITE ELITE ELITE! I am sending him the check today or tomorrow! These suckers are hard to find and thats what i really wanted in the first place!

Back