Got My "New" Patriot Today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Got My "New" Patriot Today

That is a really nice gun. Be really handy for finishing off a wounded animal while hunting with a muzzleloader.

falcon said:
That is a really nice gun.  Be really handy for finishing off a wounded animal while hunting with a muzzleloader.  
 I want to try to take a deer with it by itself if one is closer than 35 yards.

I 've taken Impala with my Buckhunter .50 at about 65 yds using a 250 REAL over 60 gr 3F Wano so you 'll be able to take deer with the Patriot as well.

Suppose she'll be able to handle at least 50 gr Pete :?:

Muley said:
30g is a pretty weak load for deer.
They recommend 35 grains max.

I killed a deer with my Ruger Old Army last year with a 255 gr. SWC with 30 grs. of 3FG. It only went about 50 yards.
Our deer are rather small. 130 lbs. (live weight) is a pretty heavy buck here. The biggest I ever killed in Fla. weighed 141 lbs. live weight. The 3 point I killed last year weighed 96 lbs.

Ok, if that's what you have there. I bought a Lyman pistol similar to yours with the intention of doing some mule deer hunting here. I was going to use it for a doe. Probably about the size of your bucks.

Then the DOW here told me it's illegal to use here on any big game. All I could use it for were small game. I tried to hunt jack rabbits with it, but damn they were hard to hit bouncing around running 30 mph. I never did hit one, but it was fun trying. Kind of hard with only one shot. A doe would have been much easier.

Mine was a .54 too. I know it would have killed a doe at less than 50 yds.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/muzzle-loaders/plains-pistol.php

That Optima that Pato has coming will be a whole other story . That baby will handle rifle charges !

Pete but that pistol will present a much better challenge ! :lol:

Spitfire said:
Pete but that pistol will present a much better challenge ! :lol:
It would and it would be nice to carry.

I'm waiting patiently for it. :bounce: 

I've killed 17 deer with a pistol. All but one were with centerfires but I love the smoke more and more as I get older. It's a lot harder than using a rifle. I can't bowhunt any more due to shoulder problems so pistol hunting is as close as I can get to it.

I used to hunt with a TC Contender in .30-30 before  , but with good loads and a scope it is about as accurate as a rifle with open sights . Then I found the blackpowder pistol and just fell in love ! Not a lot to beat it on the fun scale....:lol:

Spitfire said:
I used to hunt with a TC Contender in .30-30 before  , but with good loads and a scope it is about as accurate as a rifle with open sights .
 With a good rest, you're right. But for some reason the deer like to approach from the rear or angle in from the side. When you have to shoot offhand, it's a whole lot harder.

Back