found a great way to clean a breech plug.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsefly

Reaction score
ok after i went to the range fired about 20 shots with bh and federal 209's. came home did the 1/8 bit trick and then took the plug and put it in a fat short medication bottle on its side not up and down, and then used gumout carb and choke cleaner filled the container to just a bit over the plug so it was under the fluid then capped the bottle so it dont evaporate and shook it up real good and let it sit while i was cleaning my gun and pickin up things and every once in a while i'd go give it a good shake.

so after about a half hour of this i took it out took a nylon brush shoved it through the primer hole scrubbed for a second then flipped it over scrubbed the powder face for a second put it back in and shooc for a second took out and clean as new! the only part i had to clean a bit was the threads from the cva anti seize i used. worked great for me what do you guys do to yours other than using coke.

i do the same thing but i use a black powder solvent that came with the cableas kit that i bought that had all the cleaning stuff.

i do the same thing but i use a black powder solvent that came with the cabelas kit that i bought that had all the cleaning stuff.

I use the parts soaker that "Barrel Blaster" puts out. It works real well! :D

Many years ago Mike Venturino, then the Shooting Times blackpowder editor, got me onto Windex with vinegar for cleaning blackpowder guns. This is the clear Windex. I just spray it on the breech
plug and brush the crud off with an old toothbrush. I also use it to swab the bore at the range.

Nothing cleans up blackpowder guns like Windex with vinegar. It also works well with BH 209. The powder residue is a base: The acid in the vinegar just eats it up.

It is now called Windex Multi Task.

If you keep the container for next time, you may want to make sure that the carb cleaner doesn't eat the plastic. If it does, you will have a big mess.

BH209 has NOTHING in common with BP. Well, outside of the fact that it can "legally" be labeled as a BP sub.

Water, windex, vinegar... Would you pour them down your centerfires???

The only thing that I would add to what others have said about soaking their BPs. Follow it up with the air compressor. Really dries it out and blows any particulate matter that was still in their.

NimrodRx said:
BH209 has NOTHING in common with BP. Well, outside of the fact that it can "legally" be labeled as a BP sub.

The only thing that I would add to what others have said about soaking their BPs. Follow it up with the air compressor. Really dries it out and blows any particulate matter that was still in their.
I own a Shiloh Sharps 45-70. $2600 rifle. I shoot nothing but real black powder out of it. Windex has worked very well. I have never had an issue with pitting, rusting or any other problem. One trip to a BPCR (black powder competition rifle) shoot and you will see at least half of the shooters swabbing and cleaning with windex or vinegar and water. They also use very fine firearms. I would never leave any solvent or vinegar in the bore for extended periods. I use a solvent for my .300 and .270 but windex does the best job on the black and its substitutes.

You're missing my point.

If I was shooting "real black powder" i too would have no problems with water based solvents.

BH209 IS NOT a BP like propellent. It is nitro. period.

Start thinking about it like you do out of your MLII, not your Sharps.

I just soak mine in a Remington parts bath. Use my drill bit, my T/C firing channel brush, pipe cleaners, and a bronze bore brush on the face.

If you have lots of time on your hands then fool around and soak your muzzleloader parts in whatever you want to. My muzzleloader is squeakey clean, lubed and back in the safe in 10 minutes from the time i start. :D

Before leaving the range i run a patch saturated with Windex with vinegar
down the bore and leave it wet. Presto, the breech plug comes out much easier when i get home.

BH209 IS NOT a BP like propellent. It is nitro. period.

It is not nitro based, period!!! Better do some homework.

NimrodRx said:

????

I use windex all the time.

The more I read about BH209, the more I want to try it. As for cleaning BP, Ballistol is the do all. Wipe, clean, lube, slightly alkaline, disolves BP. even repels skeeters and knats...just read that it is used to attract mice to a snap-trap...don't care for that info!
Rich

How about brake cleaner?? Most of the guys i shoot pistols with use it to clean the end of their barrels after they take the muzzle brakes off .

Just for kicks I tried windex w/vinegar to clean PH this morning. It was fouled with about 10 shots using BH209. I am one who did not think I would use any water based cleaner for this gun. It has been shot with BH209 only since new. And cleaned with Butche's & Hoppes only.

First I removed the breach plug. While dry, I used my thumb drill to ream out the channel as I usually do and tapped out as much fouling as possible. Then sprayed it with the windex, wiped the outside with a rag, used a pipe cleaner on the channel and was done in 2 minutes. That never happened before. I mean QUICK! :shock:

Then I decided to clean the barrel. Same thing. This stuff ripped through the fouling much, much easier than Hoppes. Used a 90% alchohol patch after that, a drying patch (probably not needed) and then a patch of Montana Extreme. Done in about a third of the time.

Then tried it on my Accura which was fouled with about 30 shots. Also BH209. Same results. Done in a few minutes.

I'll keep checking the bores carefully but don't expect any problems. :)

Back