How to clean a breech plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Utah400elk

Reaction score
I feel kind of silly for not doing this before. I was about to clean the breech plug for my new CVA rifle last night. As I was going for my cleaning supplies, I saw my sonic cleaner I use to clean brass while reloading. I threw the breech plug into a homemade solution of hot water, vinegar, dish soap and salt. After two 8 minute cycles, it looks brand new. I had to wipe it down but it’s crazy clean. This is absolutely the easiest way I have found and I can’t believe it took me this long to think to use a sonic cleaner. Just thought this might help other out there.

Happy hunting and good luck this season.

5183493C-D58E-4FB0-9034-695E2145DB69.jpegBF7D4437-946E-4FA7-848D-4915027176F3.jpeg48BF596E-1C45-4948-8DC4-0D9918211B70.jpeg

I feel kind of silly for not doing this before. I was about to clean the breech plug for my new CVA rifle last night. As I was going for my cleaning supplies, I saw my sonic cleaner I use to clean brass while reloading. I threw the breech plug into a homemade solution of hot water, vinegar, dish soap and salt. After two 8 minute cycles, it looks brand new. I had to wipe it down but it’s crazy clean. This is absolutely the easiest way I have found and I can’t believe it took me this long to think to use a sonic cleaner. Just thought this might help other out there.

Happy hunting and good luck this season.

View attachment 22635View attachment 22637View attachment 22636
It probably would take a long time to effect anything but that mixture you are using is eating away on the steel.

I just soak it in Awesome Orange what doesn't come off use a little steel wool. I'm shooting T7.

i spray the breech plug with Windex with vinegar and remove the crud with an old toothbrush. Then the flash channel is cleared with a drill bit. Elapsed time; about three minutes.
I just got a Knight Vision 50 cal and the plug flash hole is so small only a needle will make it though there. What size of drill bit are you using? I tried the smallest I had laying around 1/16th I think and it didn't make it.

Right, that pic is cleaning the flash channel. I was wondering about the flash hole in front of that. I guess if you clean the channel and just poke a pin though the flash hole then all should be good. My breech plug was dirty inside when I got it out of the box. I assumed they test fired it. This one though was really dirty and I'm hoping it doesn't get that dirty just firing off a few shots. I ended up using a brass 22 or 17 caliber brush and pushing that in and twisting it out to get the black stuff out along with some fibers. The fibers may have been from me trying to use a pipe cleaner on it but not sure on that either, may have been come that way. Guess I'll find out after shooting a few primers through it how much cleaning it will need.

The 209s leave a very hard carbon buildup in the flash channel of my OEM plugs that has to be drilled out. That’s the only way I’ve found to get it all out. And a pipe cleaner to follow up with solvent.

As for the flash hole - it’s probably in the neighborhood of .030” if it isn’t too eroded. My flash holes never get too clogged/dirty, it’s the flash channel that does.

A couple of tools that come in handy are a pin gauge (~ .036”) to determine when the flashhole is overly eroded and a set of torch tip cleaners and caliper which can be used to gently check the flash hole size (or clean it a little if you’re careful).

151CD8EF-C3F2-4786-8022-B5EB2C90D6F7.jpeg

Great. Thanks for mentioning the torch tip cleaners. I used to have one or two but sold it along with my torch when I went urban. Now I'm back to needing all that stuff again. Is there a hard and fast rule on just how big that flash hole can be before its a hazard to your health?

Great. Thanks for mentioning the torch tip cleaners. I used to have one or two but sold it along with my torch when I went urban. Now I'm back to needing all that stuff again. Is there a hard and fast rule on just how big that flash hole can be before its a hazard to your health?
Good question - I don’t know about unsafe, but I replace my plugs (or vent liners) at about .037”. Accuracy starts to suffer way before they become dangerous I think.

In lieu of the torch cleaner I'd suggest a short length of fine copper wire to poke thru the flame hole IF it needs it. I have never had to run anything thru any of my flame holes in any of my in-lines. Ever. As ED mentions, the flash channel needs to be reamed out using a small drill bit turned by hand.

And as ED also mentions, your accuracy will fall flat on its face long before the plug will get dangerous.

I also use a set of torch tip cleaners for cleaning the flash hole on my BH209 breech plug on my CVA MR. When the breech plug was new and clean, I picked out a torch tip cleaner that easily fit without forcing it and marked it with a sharpie in case I get age related memory loss! :)

I just got a Knight Vision 50 cal and the plug flash hole is so small only a needle will make it though there. What size of drill bit are you using? I tried the smallest I had laying around 1/16th I think and it didn't make it.
the flash hole in my 2003 optima BP is so small a paperclip wouldn't go through it so i got one of these . i got a new BP and it's the same size . these are different than the newer finger tip BP cva sells and have a smaller flash hole . any how , i boil it , wipe it and poke it then let it sit in my parts soaker for a bit then re wipe and poke and let it sit to air dry before greasing and reinstalling .
1676821705378.png

Back