Breech plug lube

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacksheep

Reaction score
I have a question for members I know that the new CVA and Traditions models all use some variant of an easily removed by hand plug oh you might put a little lube on the threads I understand that . But what does everybody use for the older guns. For example I have a low price Traditions Tracker and I was not expecting much but after a little stock work and setting it up for No 11 caps I found it to shoot within 1.5 inch with Hornady 458 300 gr in Harvester orange sabot over 90 grains of Swiss ffg. The issue is the plug is extremely difficult to remove . I’m using SuperLube . I usually do a light cleaning at the range so I don’t believe there is a hard ring around the plug. I’m wondering if the lube is melting off and plug is seizing when I say stuck I mean using a hammer to tap on the plug wrench to loosen it.

On breech plugs that I lube I use this.

Attachments

• 5D61FCAF-28C2-43B3-AF72-F4BDD4094C2E.png
    5D61FCAF-28C2-43B3-AF72-F4BDD4094C2E.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Are you using Triple 7?
Even with a well greased plug, I've been using Knight breech plug grease.
My breech plugs and side hammer guns nipples seem to be hard to remove after shooting Triple 7.
No issues with real black powder or Blackhorn 209.

You need something to keep the metal in the breech plug from touching the metal in the threads of the barrel. Otherwise, they can have a tendency to bond together in the presence of any corrosive residue.

All of the suggestions above will work for that purpose, with teflon tape probably being the best thing to keep the two pieces of metal from touching each other.

Ever had to thoroughly clean a barrel and plug after using Permatex nickel?....Pretty much sucks and if you need to push the load out it sucks even more. The plug wont be seized but it sticks to whatever it touches and its a powder magnet if you got to push the load out.

Teflon tape is simple to remove from threads and powder wont stick to it. QRBPs i would not use it though. Use something like shotgun choke grease instead in very light amounts. Lymann needs to sell the Super Moly lube in a chapstick applicator. I bet that stuff would work great for plugs.

Straight moly or paste is SUPER messy but this stuff might work well.
Super Moly Bullet Lube

Last edited:
Whatever brand of breech plug lube Walmart has.

Do not be stingy when it comes to putting it on, use plenty.

I'm going to start using teflon tape instead of anti seize. I have a Bestill two piece plug in one of my Knights and a Lehigh in the other. For the rear sealing Bestill plug I'm assuming tape for that will work fine?

I'm going to start using teflon tape instead of anti seize. I have a Bestill two piece plug in one of my Knights and a Lehigh in the other. For the rear sealing Bestill plug I'm assuming tape for that will work fine?
I thought you werent supposed to tape those Bestill plugs?

i haven't researched traditions but the CVA plugs only need to be finger tip tightened/snugged . i've read of folks loosening their plug a little and snugging it back up every few shots . FWIU putting them in tight makes taking them out very difficult to remove after shooting .

i have a new MRX coming and i'm gonna give the teflon tape a try on it . i've been using CVA grease and i seem to get it on my hands and clothes and it gunks up the liquid in my parts tary cleaner thingy :( . but i'm clumsy .......

GM54 what do you not like about teflon tape on breech plugs ?

Like fishhawk2700 and JeffB1961 said, all i can find is Bestill saying he uses one wrap and a drop of Lucas red oil. Maybe it was someone else like Hankins who said no tape?

I’ve got several tubes of Knight breech plug grease that have lasted me for 20 years.

Good move. No more dirty threads to clean out.

Latest posts

Back