A fun morning hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAF

Reaction score
Yesterday I was back out looking for a mulie doe. Got into my blind 1/2 hour before legal shooting time and got things ready and then relaxed with a cup of coffee. 20 minutes before legal time I could make out 2 shadows 200 yds away. Quick look through my binos and sure enough, 2 mulie does. Then with about 5 minutes to go out of the trees came 4 whitetail does and walk by me at 50 yds. 5 minutes later 4 more went down the same path. A couple minutes later saw a deer 120 yds away and it went into a bush. Was sure it was a white tail buck. Then a coyote came running by and went into the same bush. Shortly, the whitetail came out of the bush and walked towards me and circled around a hill and then walked down the same trail as all the does. He wasn't big, maybe 125 4 X 4. This was getting interesting. Sure enough, 5 minutes later another whitetail buck came out and walk by me. This was a bigger deer. I could see right away he had 5 points on his right side but wasn't sure about the left. Glassed him and he had another point, about 4 inches long coming out of his G1 make 6 points on the right side. He stopped several times and looked towards me. I noticed he wasn't real wide. I let him go but have to admit I was real tempted. Purpose of todays trip was to get the mulie doe. Next month things will be different and he won't be so lucky ;). Things settled down so stepped out of my blind to stretch and answer the call of nature. Looked over my shoulder and sure enough, 4 more white tail. All bucks but 3 were spikes and and the 4th was a little basket buck. That makes 14 whitetail deer that walked by be down the same path in an open field 50 yds away. Saw one more mulie buck at 250 yds an hours after. As I sat there waiting for my hunting partner to come pick me up I realized I had my camera in my pack. I kick myself for not having it ready and getting some pictures, especially of the big white tail :x :cry:

You have found a great place to hunt and/or to just sit and watch as the critters go about their daily routine. It sounds as if success is very likely for you. I am envious.

BTW, take some photos and post'em up so we can see what your hunting grounds look like.

Good luck.

Dave

This mornings hunt was no different. No mulie. Lots of white tails passed me, 13. It was overcast and everything started later. Legal shooting time was 7:10 and nothing happened until 8:00 when the white tail parade started. In 5 minutes 3 different groups passed by for a total of 9. The first 2 were does followed by 2 does and a spike and then 2 more does. Took 10 minutes before the next 2 does came by. 20 minutes later 4 more came by but they were really high tailing it and in the group was a good buck but they were going so fast I didn't have a chance to size him up.
Today I had my camera ready and got a shot of the 2nd group. The last deer in line was the spike. This is looking SE and they were at about 90 yds. Ive shot a couple of deer here. The ones I spoke of in my first post were closer and at 50 yds.

Picture292.jpg

This next shot shows what I see went looking NE. That gap between the trees is at 120 yds and 4 deer and 2 coyotes have died there ;).

Picture294.jpg

This last picture is looking north and the tree line is about 170 yds. I seen a few deer there but never had a clear shot. This year I took out a couple of trees to open up a shooting lane.
Picture295.jpg

Thanks for taking us along. Nice looking area.

Latest posts

Back