Felt wads with conicals?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskasmoker

Reaction score
Should you use Felt wads with conicals? My encore really shoots the 410 grain great plains bullets accurately. I was shooting them just sitting on top of t7 pellets. But I recently read that a felt wad should be used. What do you guys think?

Alaska I have tried felt wads under the flat based conicals and even a patched round ball and every time I had noticably better groups. Those wads are not expensive so grab a bag and try them but only on the flat based conicals or patched round balls.

I have often heard that too: use only under flat base bullets. However, I have also heard that they can improve groups under powerbelts, which seem to me to be more like concave base bullets when you include the base. What gives there?

The rule of thumb was, use a wad on a flat based conical and fill the hollow with lube on the others. Although try it both ways and what ever works for you use it.

I have rifles that work both ways. My White, whether I use a wad, depends on the kind of powder I am shooting.

Back