Ever needed a fast follow up shot?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had gotten to my ground blind before daylight and was settled in nicely. About an hour later I saw movement to my right front. As I watched a very large 8pt stepped directly in front of me, in the clear about 25 yards away. I slowly brought the rifle to my shoulder, set the trigger and squeezed. "CLACK" was the only sound I heard. But that buck simply stood there staring at me. The prime had leaked out of the pan! A bump on the frizzen while creeping in the dark and through the brush toward my stand being the likely culprit. That rascal watched as I attempted the fastest prime I could manage. I got the lock primed but as soon as I closed the frizzen he dashed off. That mistake bugged me for weeks. Since then I ALWAYS check the prime on stand and every hour or so. It still bothers me.

We only get one deer tag a year in Idaho, unless you can draw an extra doe tag, so that's something that I fail to remember is an option for other folks. I have seen a few times where other deer mill around a bit and a second one probably could've been shot. When my wife shot her deer this year there were two other deer with it that milled around a bit.
After a shot, even if I see it go down, I swab and then always reload just in case.
what area Idaho,my brother in law loves to hunt he is in Eagle and a general contractor.

I always reload if the deer or hog doesn't drop within my immediate vision. I recently had my .54 Sharon chamfered by a well know rifle maker as it exceeded my comfort level to do. I can thumb load (paper cartridge) and then use the rod pretty fast, and it did not change the group size between the first and second shot, but did move it a tad low which was quickly rectified with a couple passes with a file.

My story ….. I always wanted to take a deer with my Fusil de Chase .20 gauge flinter. There is a long story as how I acquired it.
About 2 o'clock one afternoon I eased over to my favorite hunting spot. My cousin had a 12ft. ladder stand there. I decided I wanted to be up there!
After taking all the safety precautions of climbing up there, I get settled in, look around and immediately say to myself … why are you up here fat boy!
I reprime and settle down. Around 4:30 a deer mosies in and starts to feed around an oak tree to my right. I watch hoping it will stray over to my left side, (right handed shooter I am,). Then a second deer joined in the grazing of the acorns.
I then decided I'd better be shooting one of them before the light fades away in the woods. I couldn't get turned far enough to my right to take a shot, so I held the gun out in front of my face, sighted down the barrel at the one broadside about 15 yrds. from the base of the tree, turned my head a little to the side and pinched the trigger with my thumb on the back of the trigger guard and finger on the trigger. After the smoke cleared there was nothing to be seen of the birds that were around, the squirrel in the tree close by and neither deer!
I was carrying my loading block with patch and ball and my short starter on a leather string around my neck. Also carrying a .300 Win/Mag case full of Goex 3F and taped on the end and in my turkey vest front pocket. The primer was a push type that put out 2grns. of 3F. I had two deer tags in my pocket.
So I ripped off the tape, poured the charge (90grns.) down the barrel, grabbed the loading block and short starter and rammed the ball and patch in. Removed the ramrod and shoved it all down. (took about 20 seconds)
As I was doing so, a deer wandered back in from the brush and started feeding again. I'm thinking if I could get away with the movements loading then I can turn slightly and get a better shot which I did. It ran about 25 yards and piled up against a tree!
It was getting pretty deep into dusk when I returned to my truck for help. My brother- in-law was there and asked ... that your old smokepole that went off? I said yes. He then asked who took the second shot? I said me. He said ... you couldn't have, they were to close together. Was it a killing shot? I said yes and if I'm lucky there are two dead deer. He said ... no way! We went back and found them both. A big doe (1st.shot) had traveled about 70 yrds down into the draw and was laying with her head in the creek. The second deer was laying against the tree and was a button buck.
When we got back to deer camp, he told the story of how fast my second shot followed the first. The story with him is now ... 2 deer, 2 shots and he stayed drunk celebrating for 2 days! ;)
My brother-in-law died of cancer last year but we made many memories together.

Big John

I've had deer show up in the wrong place for me to shoot my normal right-handed way. In those few cases I shot from my left shoulder and scored just fine. It did feel strange, though.

I'm in Lewiston, which is right on the Washington border and just shy of what most of us Idahoans would call northern Idaho.
Renegadehunter, I hunted elk around "Headquarters"? near Orofino. Used to stop in Lo Lo hardware store in Lewiston and buy lbs. and lbs. of Speer "seconds" to take back up to Alaska when I lived there. Don't think they do that anymore. Nice part of the world.

I also do not recall needing a "fast, followup" shotwith a muzzleloader. When I reload I'm usually spastic and fumbly anyway.

I have never taken it hunting yet but I guess for a second shot it would be the fastest for me. I shoot my 58 Kodiak the most at the range ,my 72 just hurts to shoot very muchView attachment 1546

Yessir, that is what the OLD old-timers would have called a two-shoot rifle! With a little practice, it's faster than lightening [well, maybe as fast as a modern autoloader on a follow-up shot]

Renegadehunter, I hunted elk around "Headquarters"? near Orofino. Used to stop in Lo Lo hardware store in Lewiston and buy lbs. and lbs. of Speer "seconds" to take back up to Alaska when I lived there. Don't think they do that anymore. Nice part of the world.
I'm very familiar with the Headquarters area. I grew up camping and fishing on Washington Creek and archery hunted elk for a few years in both the Brown's Rock area (top of Scofield (sp?) Divide Road) as well as the Silver Creek area off of Beaver Creek.
Lolo Sporting Goods is still going, but no, they don't do the bulk Speer seconds ammo anymore. CCI/Speer has an "employee store" and only offer the seconds ammo to their employees these days. Employees are only allowed to get ammo for themselves or "immediate family" and can't make any profit off of it. I have a standing order in with my brother-in-law to always grab any #11 caps that he sees. Unfortunately he never sees any RB hit the shelves.

Back