Do People Know You?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneshot1

Reaction score
Years ago I got out met many people. I remember my Son went with me and his Mom on a Camping Hunting Trip, well before Internet. had camp set up told my wife that me and my Son was going visiting. We get back to camp our Son was all excited Mom you wouldn't believe the people that know Dad. I have never thought anything of it.

I got down, we got Electricity . My wife got me a Computer and got me Internet. Told me it was a way I could still visit. So for the last 20 years this has been the way I got out and I've enjoyed it very much.

Last couple years couple Forums have changed. I guess people get behind a Computer Screen and say things they wouldn't normally say. I let these people get to me so I left the Forums. Thinking I should go back because I do miss some and just look over some.

Ok I'm not that old but facing facts I've got health problems that might kill me. Think about it we only live so long and we all die it is a part of life. Was just offered a Job paying very Good, the Guy is willing to work with my problems but today I went fishing, came home I was needing Pain Medication very bad, told my wife no matter how much I would Love this Job I must face facts if I took it  could kill me or someone else and just not worth it.

What was funny I was in middle of nowhere couple Guys were waiting on Shuttle to pick them up from their float on the river. Funny I was just an old man fishing, driving my old Pickup. This Guy says are you oneshot  :confused:  How the heck did he know? Funny I can be in with hundreds of people and a stranger will spot me and automatically know who I am.

Years ago I was teaching Instinctive Shooting with a Bow. My wife went to a Archery Shop in a different part of the state. A guy was in there talking over what I had been teaching. My wife came home and told me. I told her I didn't think anyone was actually listening.

Guess I made an impression with Johnny Morris. One time I had been on a Hunting trip for weeks. went to Bass Pro in Springfield, Missouri to buy a Shotgun. I'll admit I looked and smelled rough but had money in hand but the clerk didn't want to wait on me. Johnny himself came and asked what was going on? Fired the Guy, said they didn't have the Shotgun but they would get it. they called me soon as it came in and shipped it to me.

Plus Johnny offered me a Job with Red Head Hunting, not being on T.V. just an advisor. Me and my wife turned him down because I would be gone all the time.

Once again just feeling bummed, thinking I should go back to the other Forums. Crazy I know I won't be here but I figure if I die funerals are a bunch of bull so I'm going to be cremated, family is to have a BBQ and Dance down by the river, discreetly throw my ashes in the river. Remember I will be in a better place and everyone is invited.

oneshot

thanks, that was nice and interesting. as for my self, i sold a muzzleloader i just built to a law enforcement officer from ill. he said to me, roger you dont realize how well know you are out their for your muzzleloaders. i get a lot of calls from shooters around this country. last week a shooter from alaska and one from the deep south called and talked for 2 hours each. i share info as it is no good if not shared. in my local area im know as my youngest sons father. he is the one with the rep for hunting and trapping. he taught him self and he is really good at both of them. he is going to college next fall for  baseball playing and animal science. im never ever jealous of my children. they all have done well. my daughter from calif. is vistiting now and she has a double masters, one in english and the other in poetry. her second book of poems is just being released and she is writing her third book also. she teaches new entries to this country english for a living. if we live long enough we will be known. i could point you to a couple of people who hate me but i fall back on the old saying, to be called a idiot by a total complete nut job is the highest form of praise you can receive. that makes them hate me even more. yesterday i had someone be so rude to me i could have grabbed them by their neck but instead im writing a letter to day to their boss who will be very interested in it. better that way. also went to a local farm store and the young women behind the counter was loud and very out going. she by my skills of observation was end stage liver sickness and was no doubt drinking on the job also. i mentioned it to some one on the job their and she said she has reported her several times and nothing is done. how ever as i left the store the regional manager introduced her self and thanked me for my garden purchase. i told her also about the endstage liver sickness in that loud gal and she said she has tried to talk to her but that gal knows the ropes very well. she will be dead before she is 40 years old. it was a strange day yesterday, but strange days happen. it would be nice if drunks who are killing them selves would accept help but they never do. i cant own what they are doing so what will be will be with them. im not loosing sleep over her. as to the very rude person, they will also answer for it, i know others have made complaints also. i would have preferred to grab them by the neck but that dont go anymore so i have to do it the wimp way.

I have chosen to remove several 'discussion' forums (and some news sources) from my viewing. 

There are so many trolls... My fact checking reveals an intent only to provoke and divide and mis-lead and anger and damage... I am convinced that many are not even real people (hired corporate guns with nefarious agendas to turn a profit at the expense of the nation or grab political power at any price or to endorse vile hate group agendas). Others are just doing it because they think it is 'fun.' (Sick) Then there are the foreign nationals' agendas that have nothing to do with supporting American interests. These people/corporations/government(s) propaganda artists would never say these things to my face or to a group of decent people. 

Please note: I am not speaking of disagreement. That will occur anywhere there are people. But, this all seems designed to make us forget that we are all Americans- together. 

I choose to go where the conversation is healthy and genuine. I am much happier that way. I don't miss all that strife. And, many of us have met one another or know some one who has. If I express an opinion here, you don't need to doubt my existence or sincerity- even if you think I am a dunderhead! 8) And, if Buck and Carlos and RonC and Jerry and Carl and Hilljack and FG ain't real? I wonder where the BP guns and equipment I bought and sold went to/came from... :lol::lol::lol:

PS... Speaking of getting away from things, I am going primitive camping this weekend with a group of Vikings. Yes, I said Vikings. In Florida. Period camp (900ish) and dress. They call themselves 'Swamp Vikings' and are part of an international group or period re-creationists called 'Jomsborg.' Should be interesting. I have been told I will get to try Mead for the first time. I am told I can participate in a Shield Wall if I want to. If that interests anybody, I can write up a report. Let me know.

Kentucky Colonel said:
I have chosen to remove several 'discussion' forums (and some news sources) from my viewing. 

There are so many trolls... My fact checking reveals an intent only to provoke and divide and mis-lead and anger and damage...  ISN'T THAT THE TRUTH.

If I express an opinion here, you don't need to doubt my existence or sincerity- even if you think I am a dunderhead! 8) And, if Buck and Carlos and RonC and Jerry and Carl and Hilljack and FG ain't real? I wonder where the BP guns and equipment I bought and sold went to/came from... :lol::lol::lol:

HEY, YOUR FUN TO TEASE OR JUST TALK TO BUD

PS... Speaking of getting away from things, I am going primitive camping this weekend with a group of Vikings. Yes, I said Vikings. In Florida. Period camp (900ish) and dress. They call themselves 'Swamp Vikings' and are part of an international group or period re-creationists called 'Jomsborg.' Should be interesting. I have been told I will get to try Mead for the first time. I am told I can participate in a Shield Wall if I want to. If that interests anybody, I can write up a report. Let me know.

THIS SOUNDS LIKE FUN DOINGS, TAKE PICTURES FOR US KC.

Ok went down to have things checked out Doctor sounded more positive. Still have to wait on Biopsy.

Was awake all the way through which was different but I'm ready to tackle the world now.

Looking to trade my Pickup on a Jeep. Told my wife take the Top and Doors off it will take me back several years. She hates the Doors off always afraid of falling out but isn't afraid of Motorcycle, silly woman. She use to ride Harley in the snow in Colorado.

Ok is this something New putting Automatic Transmissions in Jeeps?

oneshot

No, the automatic tranny was an option for years. After years of folks putting down automatics in 4 x 4's it was found this tranny was easier on the running gear and had the same pulling power as a stick. The new suspension flexs better than the old setup hard system making the new Jeeps have less chance of tipping. There's always some damn fool that misuses his equipment and ends upside down and when question will finally admit to doing something the vehicle wasn't designed to do.

Buck Conner said:
No, the automatic tranny was an option for years. After years of folks putting down automatics in 4 x 4's it was found this tranny was easier on the running gear and had the same pulling power as a stick. The new suspension flexs better than the old setup hard system making the new Jeeps have less chance of tipping. There's always some damn fool that misuses his equipment and ends upside down and when question will finally admit to doing something the vehicle wasn't designed to do.
Ok thanks. See lots of people lifting their stuff up then gets slick out they can't handle it.

oneshot

When you put the lift kits on you have just changed the original design of how the vehicle will handle, then problems start. Those that sell the lift kits claim it doesn't hurt anything, baloney. They just want to sell and install their product.

Ok it was brought up can't haul that much in a Jeep and Pickup is Good, leave things the way they are.

oneshot

A couple of years ago my wife and I were driving by the local Jeep dealer and one on the used rack caught her eye. She thought it was cute. She expressed she would like one. So the following Monday I went to the Jeep dealer and told a salesman I want to drive the one my wife thought was cute. I took it to the house and convinced her to drive it which she did. She loved it. It was a base model and they wanted just a bit more of a new one. After looking at the new one we bought it. Its a 2016 Wrangler 2 door. Its actually fun to drive and gets pretty decent mileage after the addition of synthetics to engine and drive train. It will do 23 to 24 mpg if you drive it decent. The ride isnt as nice as my pickup but its a Jeep not a luxury sedan.

You want comfort, try my 73 cj5.

Rides like a Cadillac

That's being run over by a tank :lol:

FrontierGander said:
You want comfort, try my 73 cj5.

Rides like a Cadillac

That's being run over by a tank :lol:
Had a CJ5 and Loved it.

What is crazy my wife has a Little Jeep Compass, one time she was talking about putting our Camping Gear in it and traveling.

oneshot

Had a '79 CJ7 that rode like the tires were square. Difficult to drive over 55. Got a ticket for 73MPH. Told the THP that if HE could hold it in the road at 73 I would sign the title over to him. All he said was "Hmmm...".
Guess he had to meet that non-existant quota.

-Joe

Gentlemen, you never know what sort of impression you may make on other people.  I seem to be known in my local area as I am often out and about on horseback. Seems I tipped my hat to some people in a car one day that had come up to our area with a view to buying a small hobby farm. Apparently they thought it was John Wayne, the wife was so impressed that the did in fact buy a place locally. They introduce themselves some time later when my wife and I were at a local street party. Nice people, was a bit embarressing though! My old mother has said you should be the best version of yourself because you never know who you might inspire over time.  As for trolls, I just don't engage with them. Takes two to make a fight.  I have rarely seen a nut job on any of the black powder forums I frequent and have found 99% of people to be most polite. 
   I did for over 10 years have a 1979 Jeep Waggoneer, 360 amp with quadratrack,  did not drive as well as a left hand drive version, ( we are right hand drive Down Under) found that when I drove the same model on a visit to the US, the lefty steered so much better. Was a most comfortable ride. I am waiting for Chrysler to release a Wrangler pick up version like the old CJ12 from the early 1980s. I believe there may be one in the pipeline.

cheers 

Gordon

My squeeze and I both have Toyota Corollas.  Mine is 11 years old; I inherited it from my mother who died a couple of years ago.  It still has well under 100,000 miles on it.

Speaking of meeting people, I have quite a few friends up here who range from very close to more-or-less casual.  Back in Ga I have many very good friends and get to see most of them only about once a year.  There are a couple of dear friends in Kansas and Colorado.  Florida and Alabama as well.  When I was a cop, most of our friends were cops and formed the core of our socializing.  For a long, long time, now, our lives/socializing/friends came from the martial arts.  I get down only about once a year during our organizations seminar.  We all are "weird"; even my squeeze tells me.  But it's just that the tough, traditional training changes one's outlook, self-image, philosophy and attitude.  There are so many heart-rending and poignant stories from my old dojo, which I sold to my partner, and he keeps up the same spirit going in that wonderful place.  The owner/master has to be a mentor, confidant, therapist, sounding board and grief counselor.  You would be shocked at many of the situations I had to "handle".  A death from a serial killer's attack, the young lady who came to my office crying because her parents were taking her to their native Bangladesh (she was totally American), the weddings, the incidents of using skills for s-d or to protect others and more.  Students were from all over the spectrum.  High schoolers, kids, UGA students & faculty, doctors, lawyers, home makers and empty nest parents.  I learned something from each and every one of the fine people.  And it continues under new leadership.  They all referred to the dojo as "family", an apt description.

Forgive the rambling and accept my apologies for straying off topic.

I am pretty open about myself, but only in a few, favorite forums like Frontier Muzzleloading.
I often share the positive aspects of my life, but not the bad or negative experiences. Oh, I've shared about some health problems in the last 2 years, but that was for me to vent.

What I don't share is a list of firearms I have. Now and again, I post some photos of an individual black powder rifle or pistol, but never a list. There are some online friends and local shooters who I have shared my collection with, but I do not post the list on any forum. I just don't want put a tempting target out there to nefarious individuals who might covet what I have.
Ron

I feel about the same, Ron.  I post pics but do not list anything other than a few that are the same caliber, type, interest, etc.  And the pictures I post also consist of many that are no longer owned by me.  I have had so very many leave my hands that I don't often point them out as such.

i like it when people share things about them selves, i enjoy it and their experiences, i even learn form them which i really like. i like the idea that that the austrailian can ride about on his horse, that very nice to read about he would enjoy my lay of the land where no ranch is less than 10,000 acres and they still use horses to move cattle.

strong eagle said:
i like it when people share things about them selves, i enjoy it and their experiences, i even learn form them which i really like. i like the idea that that the austrailian can ride about on his horse, that very nice to read about he would enjoy my lay of the land where no ranch is less than 10,000 acres and they still use horses to move cattle.
Years ago after getting out of the service I went to work as a Cowboy and was given a Horse to use. Back then made a whole $10 a day.  :D

oneshot

Latest posts

Back