CVA Hawken build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:D 
Pete,
Thanks for that info on the double triggers. I'll have to keep it in mind once I get to the range. I guess once the back trigger is engaged a touch is all that's needed. Jon mentioned that it's a hair and now with your info I should be fine. I think a light touch should send it on it's way.

Archie,
I don't know what you mean about a "quarter sawed"  :scratch: A WILD GUESS, Do you mean the stock is a quarter shorter then normal  :?:  I'm learning a lot more about these side locks since I told Jon I wanted the rifle. Learning from Jon, Pete and now Archie plus all the rest of the members who's contributed opinions on the HAWKEN BUILD.  That's what's this forum is all about.........

Thanks guys,
Ray.............. :thumbs up:

I don't think he means it was cut shorter Ray. I'm not positive either, but i'm thinking it has something to do with how it was cut from the log.

no 1/4 sawn is done to keep the wood at top strength plus it shows more figure in the wood. Almost like a curly maple that, it gets crazy grain pattern when 1/4 sawn.

:scratch: 

Thanks Pete. I don't know either. We'll have to wait for a reply from him.

Ray

FrontierGander said:
no 1/4 sawn is done to keep the wood at top strength plus it shows more figure in the wood. Almost like a curly maple that, it gets crazy grain pattern when 1/4 sawn.
How is it done Jon? How do they do 1/4 sawn?

:scratch:  :scratch:  :scratch: 

Ok Jon, that is a clear as mud. Since your using the stock and doing all that work on it, I know it's strong no matter how it's cut........ :thumbs up: 

Ray..... ;)

Well the last coat on finish went on a few minutes ago. Tomorrow I will put it together and so take a few shots to get it on sight.

DUN DUN DUN.... DUN DUN DUN....DOOOOONE!!

IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg.html

IMG_2041.jpg

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers: 

HOLY ****  :!:  :!:  It's beautiful Jon  :bow:  :bow: Your one hell of a craftsman  :thumbs up:  HOLY **** :!:  :!: 
It's AWESOME  :hats off: What's next buddy :?: 

Ray............ ;)

Oh I tell you whats next... I already got her loaded for the morning  :lol!: 

Im glad you like! I am pretty F-in jealous right now to tell you the truth LOL. Im just going to suck it up and refinish my Hawken now.

I think you will love the finish, you can actually FEEL the wood, not the cheap plastic finish feel we are used to with production rifles. Plus it won't flake off because its an actual oil that soaks into the wood.

Super excited! Can't even imagine how you feel right now lol

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers: 

Jon,

I'm happier then a pig in ****  :thumbs up: 

Ray.......... :hats off:

Getting the video camera ready for tomorrow. Just so I have proof that I shot it and it held together  :lol!:

:D 
Jon,
I never gave that a second thought. I am glad your going to video your shooting. This way I can get an idea what your load is. I have all the confidence in your work. If it shoots like it looks " IT'S GOING TO BE A TACK DRIVER"  :thumbs up:

Ray ........ :hats off:

Ray I typed up a work sheet with recommended loads, patch sizes and ball sizes. That will help you out greatly I think.

Also I loaded the rifle with 80gr 2f schutezen powder and patched ball, the rifle weighs 8lbs 9oz.

:scratch: 
Jon,
Thanks for the info. :hats off: I'm sure it's going to help me a lot down the road.  :!:  :!:  I've only got Goex powder a few lbs. of 2 and 3F. Is the powder you mentioned better or about the same as Goex :?:   :?: 

Ray.............. :thumbs up:

Goex is a lot better for accuracy and cleaner too. It will do excellent with 2f goex thats for damn sure. I did some some 3f loads to try but I honestly did not have any success with 3f in mine, at least no where near the accuracy I get with 1 1.5 fg or 2f.

Back