Renegade Rice barrel build finished

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exarcher

NRA and NAA Life member
Supporting member
Reaction score
I just finished my renegade with rice 18 twist barrel build 45cal.. The stock had some cracks i had to repair, so to "mostly" cover the repairs i had it "hydro" dipped, with a distressed wood pattern (my wife's idea). I rust blued the barrel myself which turned out to be easier & better than i imagined. Also installed a slip on decelerator pad (small) which fit perfect. I used the skinner peep off the 54 barrel & installed a truglo front sight.. now,, if it will shoot good! (I have several bullets to try) i still plan to get a little engraving on the barrel to finish it offlrenegade8.JPGrenegade7.JPGrenegade6.JPGrenegade4.JPGrenegade3.JPGrenegade2.JPGrenegade1.JPG

I forgot to post photo of the crown,,, i did a 11 degree benchrest crown on it,, (i shot benchrest & built competitive rifles for 10yrs or so) The camera sure changes the visual a bit.. looks black & slick to the eye,, don't look well blued in the photo! i wiped it off with oily rag & clean 2 inch patch,, leaves lots of dust! renegadecrown.JPG

Last edited:
shot some today,, gonna need a taller front sight to be able to get on target at my place (80yds for now).. i think its gonna group well however..

Do you like the skinner sight location?
I'm sure it is a fine shooter, what bullets are you shooting?

Do you like the skinner sight location?
I'm sure it is a fine shooter, what bullets are you shooting?
The peep is fine,, , i'm bout a foot high at 80 now... I'm shooting 540 grain buffalo arms .449 dia (pedersoli gibbs bullet). now,, looks like its gonna group really well. By the way, my other rifle has a lyman tang peep.. i think the skinner will be best one for hunting in the woods especially.. the skinner is an easy install, & i can see through it to the "light pipe" and target great..(i've also got some (baco) 400 & 500 gr paper patch to try at some point.

That rifle certainly does look good to my eye. For hunting in general the tang peeps, while excellent, really need to be a "ghost ring" or it will be impossible to aim in early morning and in deep shade. I removed all the screw-in inserts from mine and love a ghost ring.

Rice barrels are never a mistake. I have two Rice swamped barrels with radius round ball twists. Add in my Bobby Hoyt barrel with the same round grooves and the count comes to three great barrels. Two other barrels are square groove and excellent in every respect and are from other makers.

i've got 2 rice now, (both 18 tw square groove) & green mtn LRH 24 tw i think on my renegade 50 cal fllintlock,, & i must say the green mtn was the best grouping one i have until today,, testing som baco 540 (for pedersoli/gibbs muzzleloader) changed things. i believe i'm finally on to something good, but it could be load too,,, i dropped powder charge down to 70gr. (gonna go up tomorrow & see).. i had started at 85 & went up, with the 500 gr paper patch. & was not impressed really... . these barrels are tight.. (.449) much tighter than normal 45 cal rifle barrels which are 457 or so.. .. Re the peep,, The skinner is a really large hole, easy to see through,, esp with the "high viz light pipe front sight"

Back