CVA Hawken build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Right now i am using a sanding block and knocking down corners and fitting the wood as perfect as i can get it. It will have some real pretty straight grain in it too, i couldnt see it as the clear someone put on it hit everything.
IMG_1877.jpg

Side I started doing a little sanding on. Just getting the wood down to the nose piece as close as possible,
IMG_1880.jpg

Forum member Hawgslayer bought this one off me and so he gets to have all the fun picking out the stain, finish, barrel caliber-length and barrel finish. I've already polished the lock internals, adjusting the trigger " Will polish the contact points on it as well" and then just slowly put her together. Gun will be fitted with a deer creek .58cal 32" 1:66 twist barrel.

Looks like a cool project and adding the RB barrel will make it fun to shoot.  Have you decided on barrel and steel blue or brown yet?

ray wants it blued and so i will do that. That process will be the worse part as its rub a coat on, wait a minute, wash, dry, repeat about 30 times LOL.

Picked up a bottle of laurel mountain forge walnut, we're going to go with a dark stain and a low gloss finish, almost like a boiled linseed oil finish.

That will be a very nice look.  Keep the pics coming.  I think it helps anyone interested in starting this hobby to see the different steps along with discussion of methods.  Not to mention maybe giving some old hands new ideas.

I borrowed my 58cal barrel and tang just to test fit some wood relief I did around the tang area, I want to snuff it with a good layer of acraglass around it. The barrel dropped right into place perfectly.
IMG_1892.jpg

:cheers: 

Looking better and better with every pic you post.  8) 

Ray...........  ;)

Just the tang and a very small section of the rear part of barrel. I'll take pics as I do it.

well, All the parts are ordered! Brand new 58cal 32" barrel, tang, ramrod, ramrod retainer spring and some other small items I ordered from deer creek today. Very nice lady to talk to! She got everything down in a hurry and very polite.

:D 
The rifle was going to be a .54 but after talking to Jon about the length, stain an a few other things I thought about it more and called Jon and told him to make it a .58 with the 32" barrel with the 1-66 twist. I plan on hunting with this rifle and my PA Hunter that's another reason I changed my mind on the cal.

Ray............ ;)

:D 

Spitfire,

I watched Jon's video and his .58 handled really nice and not much recoil. The accuracy was really good also in the video. That's what help me change my mind and besides, I've got 2 .54's and 2 .50 side lock. It was time for the .58 to round out my collection.

Ray.................. ;)

:cheers: 

Pete,
I plan on putting those 2 rifles to the test next season. I figure I'll have all summer to be able to make the shot count and then hope to put some meat in the freezer.  8) 

Ray...........

Just telling you a .54 round ball will kill an elk. A much harder kill than any whitetail.

Your choice, but you didn't need to go to a .58. I was going to have Jon build that gun in .58, and I was using it for bear and elk.. Otherwise I like the performance of the .54 for hunting. It shoots flatter, and retains as much power as the .58 at distance.

Back