CVA Accura - The beginning

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NorCalSkinner said:
FG: A couple of things that are NOT in the owners manual about this ML:

1) I was told to expect that loads above 80 grains of T7 or so will produce sufficient pressure to force gases back thru the primer pocket and that some may also go thru the breechplug threads, especially if it is not taped... and
2) please note that between the breechplug and the receiver/action, that there is a hole drilled downward thru the barrel into a metal box welded onto the barrel that opens up under the barrel covered by the fore stock. I believe that this is to channel any super duper "over loads" that blow by the breech plug or thru the primer away from the area out in front of the shooters face. I have seen some smoke come up from my fore stock. When I ordered spare breech plugs, the factory said this was normal and to be expected at the higher acceptable pressures as described in the acceptable loads in the manual.

FYI: Mine also gets a "dirty face" from the gases escaping past the primer pocket and landing against the face of the receiver/action. (While my testing is not done, I think I am starting to settle down and use TC 209 primers, Shockwave 250gr yellow sabots, and FFg T7.) I am usually shooting 15 to 30 rounds each time at the range... the amount of buildup is minimal, and it cleans easily.

I have a 3-10x scope on mine now, and with that kind of optics, the groups are very impressive... especially since I am shooting in the sitting and kneeling positions. (Yes, I am getting ready for my now yearly trip back to Kansas!)

Glad to read that you are enjoying yours. (I love mine!) Enjoy the journey!

how many grains of T7 are you using with this setup?

thanks

thanks for the info above. I'll see what the gun shop carries.

Bunch of pictures,
Accura-2001.jpg

Accura-2002.jpg

Accura-2003.jpg

Accura-2004.jpg

Accura-2005.jpg

Accura-2007.jpg

Accura-2008.jpg

Accura-2009.jpg

Accura-2010.jpg

Accura-2012.jpg

Accura-2013.jpg

Accura-2014.jpg

Accura-2016.jpg

Accura-2017.jpg

Accura-2018.jpg

Accura-2019.jpg

Accura-2020.jpg

Accura-2021.jpg

Accura-2022.jpg

Accura-2023.jpg

Accura-2025.jpg

Accura-2026.jpg

Accura-2028.jpg

Accura-2029.jpg

Movie,

OptimaAndy.... I am back to using 80 grains of FFg T7 at the range, shooting at 100 yards.

During the past few weeks, I inched up the loads 5 grains at a time, till I reached 100 grains. There was a "very small" difference in elevation of the groups at 100 yards. Not enough to write home about. Please note that I am NOT bench shooting. I know that the gun does very well, it is my shooting skills for hunting situations that I have to keep up there. In my past posting I attached a picture of a days grouping at the kneeling position. I am very pleased with this ML!

My shot in Kansas will be way less than 100 yards (more like 40 to 50), so I do not need to reach out and play long distance sniper. (I have a 300 Win Mag for that boring stuff.)

There is obviously less cost in 80 grain loads, more fun, and less recoil. In fact, I think my 243 kicks about the same as my Accura... Ok, may not, but its no big deal!

FG... excellent posts and fantastic pictures!!! Way to go!

FG, it is not at all necessary to pull the trigger guard back when closing the action. You are babying that rifle, eh? :wink:

ps: now you need to try some BH209 - the rifle loves it. If you want to tighten the groups try the BH and get rid of the PowerBelts. 8)

BH209 is probably the most consistent metering and shooting powder that I've used. RS is one heckuva lot cheaper. I don't fault Pyrodex and I use it myself, but BH209 does offer a lot of advantages.

Underclocked said:
FG, it is not at all necessary to pull the trigger guard back when closing the action. You are babying that rifle, eh? :wink:

I HATE Seeing people slam their break opens shut. IMO it does nothing but put needless wear and tear on them. I am babying it by pulling it back every time i close it. Im about to try some cci 209 magnums and will see how that does.

Underclocked said:

ps: now you need to try some BH209 - the rifle loves it. If you want to tighten the groups try the BH and get rid of the PowerBelts. 8)

Easy UC. One step at a time..... 8) :lol:

FG
I have one of those fancy digital trigger pull gauges and my Accura trigger averages under 3lbs. It is really sweet as you described.

I have shot mostly BH209 in mine. It really likes 90 or 100gr 209 behind the 10mm 200gr XTPs using blue smooth sabots and CCIm primers. I will try the 185gr Lehighs when I get my hands on them but the 200s shot only OK.

I know you're a PB guy so good luck with them and the gun.

welp im on the right path!! the 245's are now printing 2" at 100 yards with 68.4 grains ( by weight) pyrodex RS and the cci 209M primers. I have a great deal less fouling in the barrel. I think once i get the muzzleloading primers i will be able to shrink that group even more (i'll add more powder first) and cut down the fouling inside the barrel. Again, Zero blowby with the 245's. This is going to change once i load up the 348's here in a bit.

Heres some pics, this was 2" with the 245gr Aerotip. I may have pulled #3 but you know how open sights are.
Accura-3001.jpg

2 1/4" with the 348gr Aerotips ( thanks again Batchief )
Accura-3002.jpg

I was wrong today. Heres the action after 6 shots total INCLUDING with the 348gr Powerbelts. It was the damn Federal primers fouling up the inside when i'd use the heavier bullets :evil:
Accura-3004.jpg

Some random pics of my baby.
Accura-3005.jpg

Accura-3007.jpg

Yes im loving it. Every time i get done cleaning it i put the barrel up to a light and look at the rifling :lol: Everyone thats looked down the barrel has said * holy chit! * Those were my first words too lol.

This easily has been the most easiest rifle to sight in right out on the box though. I believe i will not be selling this rifle EVER. Unless i want to upgrade to camo but thats understandable right?

FG, that is some awesome shooting especially with open sights! I was really proud of my 50 yard open sight shooting the other day, but your 100 yard groups deflated my ego. And it needs deflating from time to time.
Great report.

frontier gander said:
Yes im loving it. Every time i get done cleaning it i put the barrel up to a light and look at the rifling :lol: Everyone thats looked down the barrel has said * holy chit! * Those were my first words too lol.

This easily has been the most easiest rifle to sight in right out on the box though. I believe i will not be selling this rifle EVER. Unless i want to upgrade to camo but thats understandable right?

you can get the camo stocks straight from cva, 90 for the THBS and and 40 for the forearm.

frontier gander said:
........................ All the extras they included is amazing including the filler screws for the open sights if you take them off.................................

It is my impression that those screws are to fill the scope mount holes; are not to fill the holes left when removing the iron sights.

You man and gun are doing some excellent shooting with those iron sights.

ronlaughlin said:
frontier gander said:
........................ All the extras they included is amazing including the filler screws for the open sights if you take them off.................................

It is my impression that those screws are to fill the scope mount holes; are not to fill the holes left when removing the iron sights.

You man and gun are doing some excellent shooting with those iron sights.

Yes you are 100% correct about the screws. they are to fill the scope mount holes. I was excited that day and thought they were for the iron sights when they are removed :lol:

Andy, thanks for the tip, thats not bad at all for the set up.

Back