Is this the final word in muzzleloading propellants?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blackhorn 209

I went to Sportsmans Warehouse today an still no powder. Has anyone bought any yet?

Blackhorn

I talked with the manufacturer today. They said the product will ship to dealers in "a couple weeks". They confirmed that Sportsman's Warehouse will be one of the dealers that they will be shipping to. They also directed me to a place on their website where they have pictures of breechplugs that will and will not work with the Blackhorn 209 and it certainly looked to me like the CVA Kodiak breechplug design is one that will work.

So are us conical shooters who use conicals from 350 and up just out of luck??? I will be purchasing a knight krb7 rifle next month for a colorado trip and will be shooting T/C maxiballs (370 gr) Hornady great plains (385 gr) and maybe even some no excuse or bullshop conicals (460 grains). Am I really SOL or do you think people will be able to use them safely.

Consider this...
Right NOW Hodgdon Powders OWNS, I mean OWNS blackpowder substitutes. Do you have ANY idea what this is going to do to that market and to Hodgdon. Except for not getting quite the velocity I expected, Blackhorn 209 has so far done EVERYTHING it said it would do! I can't tell you what it means simply to not have to swab between shots!

If the mad scientists at Hodgdon aren't looking for a rebutal they are going to loose a market they have depended upon for years. This stuff is THAT good!

Come on guy's, let's be realistic with this powder. Do we really need it now? August is plenty of time to shoot your Gun in for hunting season. It's either going to work in your gun or it's not. Two 5 shot groups will answer that question. :lol:

big6x6 said:
Consider this...
Right NOW Hodgdon Powders OWNS, I mean OWNS blackpowder substitutes. Do you have ANY idea what this is going to do to that market and to Hodgdon. Except for not getting quite the velocity I expected, Blackhorn 209 has so far done EVERYTHING it said it would do! I can't tell you what it means simply to not have to swab between shots!

If the mad scientists at Hodgdon aren't looking for a rebutal they are going to loose a market they have depended upon for years. This stuff is THAT good!

Chuck,

I would be danged surprised if they didn't have a secret weapon waiting in the wings. Trail Boss could probably be tweaked to do nearly the same thing. I know Lane was doing some research with that, but never did find out his final results. Lane???

I am sure Hodgdon is waiting to see if Blackhorn 209 ever gets launched, before they would ever expose anything they have that would be counter to their cornered market. Then again if they have been sitting on their thumbs, they will get what they deserve, stinky thumbs! I think they have been operating under the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" mentality.

Lets just hope Western will be able to get the powder distributed, and then keep up with the demand. Magkor sure couldn't do it with Black Mag'3, but Western has the advantage of distribution channels already in place.

Trail Boss could probably be tweaked to do nearly the same thing.

Right. And if you don't think the consumer is being set up for a screwing on the price of BH, consider that IMR is importing Trail Boss from a manufacturer in Australia (ADI Ltd.) and selling it for a whole lot less than the BH projected price. The 9 oz. canister of Trail Boss I recently bought was $11.91.

Semisane said:
Trail Boss could probably be tweaked to do nearly the same thing.

Right. And if you don't think the consumer is being set up for a screwing on the price of BH, consider that IMR is importing Trail Boss from a manufacturer in Australia (ADI Ltd.) and selling it for a whole lot less than the BH projected price. The 9 oz. canister of Trail Boss I recently bought was $11.91.

I agree, I have seen Trail Boss for $10 at a large Sporting Goods Store here.

I'm mostly a Savage shooter, and for the dirty work, I shoot an Encore with 777 Pellets and truly like the gun and its performance. Never shot any of the other powders that are listed in the comparison chart, and therefore claim no knowledge about them. I'm curious though why Pyrodex is not being compared to Blackhorn 209, or is the answer to that so obvious that I should not have to ask?

Best regards from the cob pile

OK I give up-what the heck is trail boss?????

It's a smokeless powder released a few years ago by IMR with cowboy action shooters as the target consumer. It's designed for low pressure, low velocity loads in cartridge rifles and pistols chambered for such rounds as 44-40, 45 Colt, 45-70, etc. Its' key feature is that it's a bulky powder designed to fill those old straight wall cases the way the original black powder load did. It is NOT a muzzleloader powder.

This thread illustrates what a flat out joke "black powder subs" really are. Think there isn't nitro in T7???

Yes, we're being set up for a screwing bc I can buy an 8 pound keg of IMR4064 for $138. And 10 ounces of this stuff is going to cost me HOW MUCH?

We are going to pay western powders BIG $$ bc they have gone through the troulbe of selecting a smokeless powder (I won't say which one I think it is) and determining the mass by volume required to approximate the pressure generated by 100 gr by volume of T7. Then, that volume is so much smaller than T7, that they have to add some "dirty" filler that makes it "smoke."

When you think about it, how much trouble is it really? Seems like Savage did most of the leg work years ago.

And why? Bc most state's regs are aerchaic and most MLer manufacturerers are in the dark ages and won't prufe their bbls.

They've got us by the short hairs. And that's why I'm going to have to pay a rediculous sum to shoot a non corrosive black powder sub in my MLer. That is, until other manufacturers get on the stick and offer an alternative.

I give them credit. They found a niche and are going to exploit it. Make hay while the sun shines. Supply and demand. This will be a CASH COW for Western.

Great reading for a newbie.
Allot was over my head but I learned and many of my questions were answered.
Thanks to all.

Latest posts

Back