Do you hunt with a jag on your rod???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cajun

Reaction score
I've been shooting my Omega for the last 2 years. This year is the first year I will hunt with it. I never tried shooting it with a jag on the rod and the rod attached on the gun. Is that safe? I wondered if it was or not and that is why I never tried it. If you have an Omega, please give me some input.
Thanks,
Mitch

Well I do not hunt with an Omega, but I hunt with a jag on all my rifles. As long as it will not stick in front of the muzzle it will be fine. It might get dirty if you shoot a lot, but again.. if it does not stick out in front of the muzzle at all, it will be fine.

Some of the old time flintlock shooter used to have a ramrod that stuck out eight inches past the muzzle. It was not in front of the muzzle so it did not interfere with the rifle.

yes I do..Knight has them on their LRH ramrods already. these are the ones that extend out with the cleaning jag. pretty handy.

for my traditional I cut the rod to accommodate the jag on the end to be even with the barrel.

I hunt with an Omega and I have never hunted with the jag on, but that's just me. My "jag" is about a 4" extension for the rod and I have a little T-handle for the other end. So I don't hunt with the rod "assembled."

I shoot a deer with my Omega and a 300 grn Hornady XTP and I watch said deer fall over dead, usually on the spot, and I casually get my little possibles bag out of my vest, assemble my rod, pour a charge of BH209 down the barrel, drive a Harvester Sabot and Hornady XTP down on top of the powder, disassemble my rod, put a new Winchester 209 in the breech, stow my little possibles bag, get a cigar out of my pocket, cut the end off and light my cigar, make certain I have my binocs and other gear in my vest, and walk over to my deer, make sure it is dead, sit down on the nearest stump, rock or dry patch of ground, smoke my cigar and pay homage to the deer, and then begin field dressing.... :wink: :roll:

See? You don't need a jag on your ramrod :D

I hunt with an omega and do not have the jag attached. I also have a T handle on the end so the jag assembled will not work. The last couple times I reloaded after a shot at a deer in the woods, I did not put a loading jag on, and when I reloaded, the ram rod pulled the plastic tip off the bullet and it was stuck in the threaded tip of the rod. I actually laughed it off and I never required a second shot anyway. How much difference it really would have made I don't know.

Yes, I do. The Whites ramrod had the jag attached already and I attach a small jag to the Encore rod, not the extended one, for hunting.

A jag will save you time if a second shot is needed and I have had to take a few followup shots in past years for one reason or another. :roll:

Well I shot groups with it to check that it did not make a difference, and have hunted that way for many years. The Omega mostly hangs on the rack since I have a Triumph and an Encore Endeavor but I leave the jag on to load with. I won't use that silly power rod because there is no way to have a jag on it. Here in AR there is a chance for Boar, Bear and Turkey as well as 4 deer during some seasons and I always reload as fast as is practical. I have been trying to get some of my friends to trade me a regular solid aluminium TC rod for it but they are all to smart. Lee

I do not, I just keep it in my pocket with speed loader and primer tool and use when needed.

Accura004-1.jpg

Thats how im goin this year.

Cajun

I modify or change all of my Ml's to have the jag mounted on the ram-rod, but you should also know the only time that rod gets used is during hunting season - otherwise i am using a range rod....

Ignore the shotgun in the back - hopefully you can see the ram rod with the jag attached. This the rod for my Omega

ramrod.jpg

I've often wondered if your rod/jag extended too far past the muzzle if it would foul sabots trying to peel back and affect accuracy.............................seems like many here have satisfied that question. SWEET! :D

Jags

I hunt with a jag on my Black Diamond and did so when I had an Omega as well. A little considered benifit of having one on is that if you stumble or for some other reason bang your muzzle into something, your jag takes the hit and not the muzzle. It may prevent a nick in the crown or dirt in the muzzle. An inch long jag is fine.

I have one on my 700ML and it sticks out about 1/2 in from the barrel. Never had a problem with it and it shoots just fine with it in there. I have had to take a quick second shot one time (broke a doe's back oops) and it was nice to have it on there instead of having to dig through my possible's bag.

My sidelocks have them as well however they do not protrude past the end of the barrel.

I'd say do whatever makes you comfortable with having to load and take a fairly quick 2nd shot a real possibilty if your hunt area offers one. Late season for me usually means a handful of permits and hunting field edges. Last year I had 27 deer in the field in front of my stand in a cut corn field and a handful in the thick stuff below me...after one shot a few deer almost always hang aroung wondering what the heck was that bang sound?
My jag is also a 4" extension with a T handle so putting it back on the gun assembled isn't an option. I make small loop style hangers out of thin mechanic wire,..assemble the rod once I'm settled in the stand & hang it by the "T" from a bow hook or nearby twig, with 2 speedloaders in my chest pocket & the rod a foot away,..less stumbling around (especially with cold Illinois January hands) & lets you keep an eye on the animal a bit more...or in my case start picking out a 2nd doe!

I've had a couple of those PRBullets synthetic jag tips (used to supply with bulk bullets) blown right off, so I generally hunt with a jag off.

:wink:

As I suggested before. all of my ML's have a jag unstlled on the end of the the gun ram-rod. I cut the rod oe replace the rod with one that i can alter. I really do not want anything sticking out beyond the muzzle. I am not as worried about the sabot contacting it as much i as i worry about the impact of the blast on the tip and that effecting accuracy... So all of mine look somehing like this... And I do prefer the TC super jag on the ram-rod...

MuzMittwithband.jpg

sabotloader said:
Cajun
Ignore the shotgun in the back -

ramrod.jpg

Ignore the shotgun in the back ???? no way that's beautiful !!!!

A over under will be my next gun , i just love the way the feel . :D

Back