Chrono'd American Pioneer today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we'll find out soon. just got back a day early from camping * lost brakes* and i plan on testing JSG 2F in my Optima over the Chrono.

I shot that stuff for years with many different kinds of conicals and bullets not once did I ever get a chrony reading of over 1700.

if you just clean the bore and dont oil, you wont get the numbers. With 100gr APP 2F and the 245gr powerbelt i'll get over 1600fps. With the oil though, in the mid 1850's is normal.

i did test some JSG 2F with the thors today and JSG actually seems to be a lot slower.
1446 ( without swabbing/oiling)

I need to restock APP and BH209. Found that i am out :evil:

frontier gander said:
if you just clean the bore and dont oil, you wont get the numbers. With 100gr APP 2F and the 245gr powerbelt i'll get over 1600fps. With the oil though, in the mid 1850's is normal.

i did test some JSG 2F with the thors today and JSG actually seems to be a lot slower.
1446 ( without swabbing/oiling)

I need to restock APP and BH209. Found that i am out :evil:

Unless your oil has some kind of rocket fuel in it, you are not going to get a 250 fps bump with the same load and bullet, no way IMO. There is something else going on there. I did notice your bullet in the other thread did not obturate fully into the bore, even the base. You are likely blowing gas past the bullet and oil out the bore and possibly through the chrono.

Now I believe the numbers up above, and the first three are pretty consistent. The fourth is only 50 fps more, which is quite possible with the APP, Shockey powders IME. Normaly the deviation can range as much as 100 fps with those powders, and that leads to inconsistency.

Those powders have never worked well for me using conicals, it just don't spank 'em hard enough to fill the bore for consistent accuracy or velocity.

Keep us posted!

Will do! Im actually going to test with my hunting load. Anything over 100gr in the Optima with JSG doesnt shoot no where near as accurate as my 90gr charge.

Latest posts

Back