Chronographing American Pioneer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Ok we all know the stories.... Velocity differs 150-350 FPS with American Pioneer.

I got the RCBS Chronograph about a month ago, traded the 30-06 for it along with a Bushnell scope for my other rifle. I feel i got the better trade.

Anyway for the past Two days ive been testing APP 2f in the CVA Optima.
000_1205.jpg

I had started the test with a barrel that had 18 shots through it already. Using 100gr (87gr weight) APP 2F and a 245gr Powerbelt, i set the Chrono 12 feet in front of me and took my Three shots.

That was basically it for the day due to a rain storm blowing in. But today i got to really play with it and even do some changing up during the shooting.

My first shot was on a freshly cleaned rifle, including Barricade in the bore, Although i did run Two dry patches to mop that up. 250gr Thor with 100gr APP 2f on a clean barrel left the bore at 2,150 FPS

Sadly i only had that Single Thor left :( But the number i put out was damned impressive! I am starting to wonder if that hollowed skirt is helping seal the bore up tight and helping push those numbers that high. But with only one shot, its to hard to tell right now.

Next i decided to go a head and use the No77 Muzzle Magic Foam and swab the bore clean between each shot.
245gr Powerbelt- 100gr APP Today on a swabbed bore.

Not bad but still room for improvement as i found out!

I went home and got the can of Birchwood Casey Barricade and after cleaning the rifle, i lightly oiled the barrel and dry patched it. Next Three shots using this method gave me the best results on the Chrono,
1822 ( Maybe i didnt push until the powder compressed?)

American Pioneer puts a 100gr Volume load at 1,823 FPS with a 240gr projectile * Sabot i am betting?* I am pushing past their documented loads, so i guess i wont complain any LOL.

I noticed that the rifle ( I forgot my headphones) has a Beautiful Sharp Crack to it when it fires off. The old times say this is exactly what you want and sound be the best load for you rifle as its burning all of the powder. How weather that is true or not, only the target will tell.
000_1206.jpg

Nice crony data FG. That THOR velocity certainly has my curiosity.

Interesting how the oiled barrel increased the velocity.

Also, did you allow any barrel cooling between shots :?:

yeah it was probably about 10 minutes in between shots. swabbing, oiling and such. I wanted to make sure everything was close together.

Every little thing we do when testing makes a difference if outside temperature.

I like the america pioneer powder the 3ff stuff works great in my kodiak 120 gr. loose an a 225 45 cal less than a inch at a 100 yards

ceader savage said:
I like the america pioneer powder the 3ff stuff works great in my kodiak 120 gr. loose an a 225 45 cal less than a inch at a 100 yards
Whick Kodiak do you have :?:

The 28" barrel or the 29" barrel :?:

Latest posts

Back