Seating Pressure Test - American Pioneer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Got out today with 100gr "87gr weighed" American Pioneer 2F, Winchester W209 primers and the 300gr Powerbelt Platinums. The rifle loves this load and shoots it extremely well at 100 yards.

As usual with American Pioneer, i swabbed between shots, oiled with Barricade and followed up with One dry patch to mop out the excess oil.

For the first Three shots, i used the Ultimate Range rod for consistent seating Depths. On the first shot i most likely did not get all of the muscle into it that it needed.
Avg 1892 FPS - 108 ES

Breaking into the 1930's in velocity was pretty awesome i thought for a 300gr Bullet. The 245gr Powerbelts will not shoot this fast with the same powder charge. American Pioneer just does well with nice heavy bullets like the 300gr Platinum.

I took note of the gap between the Bore Guide and Charge height indicator. Once i felt the bullet touch the powder, I used my tape measure and measured a gap of 1/2" . That's how much you can compress this powder! On shots 2 and 3, it took a bit of a grunt for the BG & CHI to touch each other. This is what i missed doing on shot 1 and of course, the velocity fell off.
DSCN1923.jpg

We can't carry fancy gadgets like the Ultimate Range Rod in the field with us, even though we've thought about it! So i went inside and got the Accura V2's Ramrod, along with a longer Bullet Seating Jag that came with the Ultimate Range Rod and screwed that into place on my Ram Rod.
DSCN1925.jpg

So in order to reproduce an actual field hunt, i loaded up with the factory ramrod, a longer bullet seating jag and the BK Palm Protector. For better consistency in loading pressure, i use what i call Thumb pressure for reasons seen in the picture LOL.
DSCN1926.jpg

Running 3 more shots through the chronograph, cleaning and oiling between shots and reloading with the thumb pressure set up, my first two shots were the following:

On shot #3 i used Two thumbs " one over the other" and was able to seat the bullet a small amount tighter than the previous One thumb seater. That shot chronographed 1512 FPS.

In the field reloading " Ramrod" i lost well over 400 FPS.

It's just impossible to compress that powder the 1/2" it wants to give high - consistent velocity, with the normal ramrod and a palm or thumb"s".

American Pioneer's reverse crud ring in the muzzle of the Accura V2. I know, before anyone says, The oil caused it!! I'll completely remove all traces of oil from the bore tomorrow and shoot one shot to show you if there is a difference or not.
DSCN1930.jpg

I just thought this picture was cool. LOL
DSCN1932.jpg

:)

FG is 100% correct when he spoke of the reverse crud ring, build up, at the muzzle. You will get that build up after a few shots. I get it all the time and I don't oil my barrel.
Thanks for the report FG :!: :!: If everything pans out I'll be leaving APP/JSG and moving on to BLACKHORN 209 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: I know it costs a lot but what the hell. We don't only live once :cheers: :cheers: ( Unless your GEORGE W. PATTEN...He believed in reincarnation and so do I) ;) ;) ;)

Interesting and great report FG on what it takes to maximize the performance of APP. It can be done with a S.O.P. like yours.

I'm with you Hawg. BH209 will be along side me on the bench and in the woods.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

p.s. A 300 grain bullet in the 1,900 f.p.s. range carries a lot of diversity when it comes to hunting big game.

Yeah, I had bad results with JSG this last weekend in the 45 Contender........It really gunked up the barrel, worse than T7, and made it impossible to load the sst sabots after a couple shots......which is weird, because with the same powder and primers, the bullet being the only difference, my 50 cal knight using Powerbelts did not foul up like the Contender......BH209 maybe in my future also......

Latest posts

Back