change in winchester 777 ML primers packaging

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffB1961

Reaction score
went to bass pro at pinnacle in Bristol today , didn't see any 209's in their ML section at all . asked a sales person and he said he thinks they might have some in the back . he came back with 1 pack and i asked if he had more and he said he did but they can only seel one pack per day per customer .... so i got a pack and my lady got a pack . they were $17 each . we have to go back tomorrow to pick up some TV's at best buy and when we go we're gonna pick up 2 more packs .
they look the same to me but i'm a novis at this ML stuff .

Attachments

• 20220821_202240.jpg
    20220821_202240.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220821_203237.jpg
    20220821_203237.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
I'm sure they are one in the same.
Their regular 209 shotgun primers used to be in a blue box now red box or visa versa.
Can't remember which but the primers haven't changed.

thanks deermanok :)
i already have 4 boxes of federal 209a primers but i figured i'd jump on these due to me using 777 fffg powder and all the comments about using ML primers helping to minimize the crud ring ...... and how difficult it is to find any ML primers now .

thanks deermanok :)
i already have 4 boxes of federal 209a primers but i figured i'd jump on these due to me using 777 fffg powder and all the comments about using ML primers helping to minimize the crud ring ...... and how difficult it is to find any ML primers now .
I hear ya there. Stock up whenever you can find them.

It should be noted that I am sure I saw a post by ronlaughlin that he had purchased new stock W209 primers recently. He also indicated that the length of the primer has changed to approximately the same length as CCI primers.

I'll put a eyeball on them when I get home , but my eyes ain't great and I don't have a micrometer .

Fairly Certain they are the same. They are now Packaged in the individual (100) Count Blister packs identified as Muzzleloader Specific so they can Charge more, $17 Whoa😮!

It should be noted that I am sure I saw a post by ronlaughlin that he had purchased new stock W209 primers recently. He also indicated that the length of the primer has changed to approximately the same length as CCI primers.
I wonder if they won't need the o-ring that I read folks mention ? I didn't notice blowback on my 2003 optima ........

Last edited:
He also indicated that the length of the primer has changed to approximately the same length as CCI primers.
I just measured some of the Winchester Triple 7 Primers. They were .298" to .301" in Length. So, they are a Little Longer than the Newer Blue Box Winchester W209s (which is Good)

My old WinT7 and old Win209s are so close in size i was able to interchange them in the same plug. I even used them in testing some of the very first Lehigh plugs with BH209 in warmer temps. Worked fine but i would not trust them in all conditions or for hunting if using BH209.

Everyone of these and more were used with BH209 in a Lehigh plug with very tight fitting sabots. Notice how clean they are.
qY0UPdx.jpg

Last edited:
Back