Carrying shot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toot, the best source for finding some odd shape contrainers is your local antique stores (the more junkier the better). I found this brass tube along with a couple others in on of those stores for $0.40 years ago (no idea what it was used for originally). You can find some really different shaped cork neck small glass bottles (great for liquid containers), I bought a dozen of them from a dealer for $0.25 each. Put them in shooting bags along with other cleaning supplies to make a neat kit that sold really well.

I posted earlier in this topic. I shoot by loading in the old woodsman method, by Volume. The old graybeards who instructed me in shot shooting, use 1 to 1.5 ratio (powder to shot), regardless of grain or shot sizes. [Ex. 50 grains of FFFg to 75 gr of #4 or #7.5] and [75 grain FFg to 112 grains of #4 or #8 or?] etc. I have made myself separate measures for this procedure; Brass tube with preset powder and shot ends. The tube fits my bore (just under snug) I put a small 3/4" dowel plug that just moves in the tube. I measured my powder and moved the dowel piece with a small rod until the charge tops the tube. I mark the the center of the dowel piece, drill and pin it. Then I measure out the shot using any 4 to 9 shot (it's the volume, not weight measure. The weight WILL be the same by volume). I put the shot in the tube and mark the outside, remove the shot and cut the tube. USING: put powder in powder side of the measure, then in the barrel; put the card or wadding on the bore use the tube to start cards/wadding; measure the shot and put into the barrel; start the OS Card with the tube, seat with ramrod. loaded. I used three small brass 1/4" brads to secure the dowel divider in the tube and I place a thin leather lace around the tube and put the brads through it to hold it. This I attach to my pouch strap and it reaches to go in the pouch just under the flap. It stays on my designated shot hunting pouch. IMG_0177.JPG

I have a 12ga flintlock and I carry shot in a horn. My plug has an o-ring seal that holds it in place. I never fill it all the way up. Been using it for 10 years now.

That's a good idea about using a horn. I thought about it to but wasnt sure if the stopper could hold the weight that's pushed against it.

Latest posts

Back