Carrying shot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coalforge1

Reaction score
I have a flintlock smooth bore that I have been using with PRB. I decided to try it with shot but didn't have a way to carry shot in the field. I ended up putting <a href='/tags/6' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #6'>#6</a> shot in a spare powder horn,  I have not heard of doing this. Is there a problem I should be aware of with this method?

Now there's a challenge ;) ...a flintlock throwing shot.  What are you planning to hunt with 6's :?:
I don't have an answer to your question,  but I'm sure someone on here does.

Should work.

Thinking of changing my Shotguns just using Over Shot Cards above my Powder and Shot.

I use mostly <a href='/tags/6' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #6'>#6</a> Shot for most everything from Squirrels to Turkey.

oneshot

The horn will work fine. Just make sure the stopper is a good one and won't come out with all the weight behind it.

Marty said:
Now there's a challenge ;) ...a flintlock throwing shot.  What are you planning to hunt with 6's :?:
I don't have an answer to your question,  but I'm sure someone on here does.
Marty you should attend a NW Trade Gun Match in your area.  You'll see about any combination of shot, patched round ball to slugs fired from smoothbore guns.  

Antique smoothbores (large calibers) from the big game trade in Africa, India - the early 1900's shot about anything that would fit the bore (pepples to smooth river rocks was not uncommon).  Many showed hard useage but still handled the job at hand and worked fine.

Coalforge, Here's a picture of a Shot Worm (My name). carries about 1.5 to 1.75 # of shot. Some Shot Snakes carry up to 3.5-5#
of shot. I only carry what I need + maybe, 2 or 3 shot loads more than I figure I need. Shot snakes are usually worn over the shoulders and under the arm, My worm is kept in the shot pouch and is not conducive to quick loading. I load my shot from a powder measure. These I make from the coat leather I get at flea markets and thrift shops. I explained that in a different topic post. You just figure what you want it shaped to look like; make a pattern; cut the leather. I use a copper pipe reducing joint for a spout I glue in. Bard's rubber cement (What shoe makers use for leather) the edges and around the spout. You can make wood or other spout types. You can use sinew to tighten the leather around the spout; sew the edges and use it. It's flexible with the shot in it and easy to use. You can strap and wear it, use your imagination. Just a weekend project.

Attachments

• Shot Snake.jpg
    Shot Snake.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 13
When using shot I always carried premeasured vials made from PVC cut to size. It was fast, accurate and easy.

Shot flasks should be easy to find, also hard leather flasks for round ball would work fine , but I prefer shot flasks as it makes loading easy, no 4 shot, I find heavier shot works best in a muzzle loader. Shot flasks have either one ounce and an eight or one ounce and a quarter graduations and are easy to use.

Now that fall is here and work is slowing down, I will have to follow up on some of these ideas. Thanks to all.

in a powder horn I have found that the shot will bottle neck trying to exit the spout and jam up. better have a rely good size spout.

Using a good piece of bamboo (but not rivercane) I made a shot carrier that actually worked quite well. Problem was that it was too large; and when filled with shot was very heavy. I initially used it as a powder horn but really didn't need another one. So this one became a "shot horn". I was going to make a smaller one but that fell through due to our move. It still does its job if I fill it with just a few loads worth of shot.

Here's how I have carried my needs for years with no issues.

bag.hunting.contents.1.jpg
Brain tanned leather pouches don't make noise and fit in any corner without issues. Metal containers will bang together if not protected from each other.
Here you can see ball bag (left corner), rolled paper shot cartridges, swan shot in leather pouch, loading block with powder measure attached. Cleaning items and a flint wallet, all small in size and easily carried in my "Day Bag".

bag.hunting.contents.3.jpg

Closer view of the above items.

.​

There is nothing as convenient as the "shot snake" with adjustable measure attachment. Turn it over pointed in your barrel and push the button. The shot charge is deposited. Point it upright and let go of button. Repeat if you have another barrel, or for the next shot. These hold from 4000-7000 grains of shot usually, any size up to small buckshot. Fill it up and it dispenses what you set it to. Mine has a 1 ounce and a 1 1/8 ounce setting. You should check these. It actually dispenses 15/16th ounce and 1 1/16th ounce.

There is nothing as convenient as the "shot snake" with adjustable measure attachment. Turn it over pointed in your barrel and push the button. The shot charge is deposited. Point it upright and let go of button. Repeat if you have another barrel, or for the next shot. These hold from 4000-7000 grains of shot usually, any size up to small buckshot. Fill it up and it dispenses what you set it to. Mine has a 1 ounce and a 1 1/8 ounce setting. You should check these. It actually dispenses 15/16th ounce and 1 1/16th ounce.

The problem with a "shot snake" is most will fill it half full, when only a few loads are what is really needed, that's why I sold the couple I had.

what are in the items in picture #3, two prices of brass tubing one seems to have cotton inserted into it and a horn ring?

That's a brass tube of "tow" used for cleaning (washable when it get dirty, in the 1600's it was used for patching as well as cleaning black powder off the weapon). The ring on the brain tanned bag is made from a white tail deer leg (used to hold the bag contents in the bag with with the ring slid over the end). The small bottle hold patch lube and also used for cleaning, the small tin has a mixture of buffalo lard and beeswax used to seal the pan on the lock, also used if you cut yourself or need lip balm.

Lots of little tricks you hear about and try (some work and many don't). The native American chewed green Aspen limbs to get rid of a headache (it works as good as modern pain pills). Thanks for asking ....

I shoot a 28 gauge smooth rifle flinter. I carry components loose in my bag, in bags. My shot is in tied paper wrapped tubes. I sequence powder, over powder card, lubed cushion wad, shot... I tear off the front of the tube, over shot card. The heavier the paper wrap on the shot, the tighter the pattern.

Attachments

• bito.jpg
    bito.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 7
Buck, thanks for taking the time to go into what I asked about. very educational. again thank you.

Buck, forgot to ask you, what did use to make the brass tow tube out of if you don't mind me asking?

Latest posts

Back