Blackhorn 209 ??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up a optima pro a few years ago on a whim. Me and a buddy were out rabbit hunting and decided to go buy muzzle loaders and go shoot deer. I liked the gun but the trigger was horrible and with the longer barrel it never felt really good kinda front end heavy. Saw the Accura for 250 to my door from Cabelas and couldn't resist and im glad i didn't. I think cva really tried to make a gun that compares to the T/C and Knights and i think they have made a very good gun.

Gonna try and get out tomorrow and see where the poi is on my Nikon Omega BDC reticule with this load at 150 and 200 and 250 if the range is that long but i think its only a 200 yard range.

I have a Winchester Apex and spent two months trying to get it sighted in. I almost threw it away because I was so upset I couldn't get it sighted in. My luck changed when I picked up Blackhorn 209. I started shooting sub 1" groups at 100 yards and was able to hit a 6" paper plate every time at 300 yards. Last year I shot 3 deer past 200 yards with the Apex. This year I pulled the gun out of the gun cabinet the day before season and re-cleaned it. Wasn't able to double check my zero however two hours into the hunt I had two deer with my Apex. Needless to say I really believe that Blackhorn is the way to go.

I did find that my 250 Hornady SST didn't like more then 100 grains and my 200 grain Shockwaves like 125 grains. I've shot more then three cans of this stuff and I believe you will really enjoy this.

Good Luck

River Rat

I wish I had better luck with it but s far my gun likes T7 better. Maybe I'll have to try a few other bullets and up the charges past 100 for it.

GM54-120 said:
I
Torch picks are like very tiny round files. Mine are in a little metal folding case and swivel out when needed.

Man I have been looking everywhere for this, couldnt remember what they were called use to use them offshore for cleaning orifices in valve controlers. Thx

coop2564 said:
GM54-120 said:
I
Torch picks are like very tiny round files. Mine are in a little metal folding case and swivel out when needed.

Man I have been looking everywhere for this, couldnt remember what they were called use to use them offshore for cleaning orifices in valve controlers. Thx

I like them for most actions but for guns like the Green Mountains or most Knight bolt type rifles the drill bit on a sick is much better unless you are removing the breach plug. Then its just a preference.

The guy at Blackhorn even mentioned it to me when i emailed him to ask about 45cal muzzle loading data. They dont have any yet but thought my starting loads were safe.

With a Disclaimer added. :lol: :lol: :lol:

BH209 and the Accura shoot so well together i probably wont use any other powder in it.

Latest posts

Back