Barnes Originals Show Promise

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MK85Shooter

Reaction score
Ordered some 300gr Barnes Originals from Midway USA last week and tryed them out last Saturday morning in my Savage 10ML-II SS/Lam. I shot 3 groups at 100 meters, (the range I just joined is set up in meters), and the 3 groups ranged from 3/4" to about 1-1/4". I had it shooting about 3" high at 100 meters so I shot one 4 shot group at 200 meters.
300BarnesSS200M.jpg

The 1st shot hit 3" low and 3" left of my point of aim (the large center bullseye). I rushed the 2nd shot and it hit about 3 1/2" lower than the first. The 2nd shot also loaded probably 50% easier than the first. So I slowed down and waited 15 minutes between each of shots 3 & 4. It was about 65* by the time I started shooting the Originals and the wind was blowing 5 - 10 MPH I'm guessing. Shots 3 and 4 loaded tight just like the 1st shot did.

This was only the second time I've shot the Savage, (or any other gun for that matter), at 200 + yds so I was pretty pleased with the results. All 4 shots grouped just under 4" and if I discount the 2nd shot that I rushed and shot with a warm barrel then 1, 3, & 4 grouped at 3". I'm pretty sure the gun is capable of better, and I think I am too with some more practice and patience. If hunting season started tomorrow the Barnes Originals would get the nod. Here are pics of my gun and the range.
Savage.jpg

Range.jpg

Thats the 200 meter mound way back there in the shadows. I borrowed one of our old digital cameras we have at work and the pics are a little fuzzy :roll:

Barycuda,

Sorry, I didn't realize I left that out. My load was 60gr of Vihtavuori N120, 300gr Barnes Original Semi-Spitzer Soft Point, and the MMP Orange sabot for .458 bullets.

Back