Bac together again with

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ENCORE50A said:
Now before I go on...… I haven't shot this muzzleloader for darn near a year, which was last September I believe prior to hunting. Other than shooting the .450 Bushmaster a few times, some medical issues have kept me off the range. It'll get better...……...

FIRST OFF...……………. THANK YOU LUKE (ASG)!

The ignition system is PERFECT! No leaking and INSTANT ignition of BH209! No leaking around the modules! Luke nailed it :yeah:

There's no doubt there's a new, or reversed, learning curve now that I'm back shooting BH209. First off, I need a better funnel than the one I have for loading. Next, and this most will not believe, BH209 from this rifle, is much more dirty than it was shooting pellets. Maybe it was just blacker vs the gray of the pellets, but boy did I end up with dirty hands.

Next thing is a question for Jeff or anyone else..... What exactly do you use to swab between shots? Now I fired two different ways, first with swabbing using BBPBS and a dry patch, then shot without swabbing at all. Actually not swabbing gave me a more consistent loading, where swabbing created different loading forces (an issue for accuracy). I'm far from convinced that BBPBS is what should be used with BH.

It felt great to be back shooting again, but I also realize how rusty I've gotten. Had it on paper with the first round, then made the necessary scope adjustments. Prior to shooting, this rifle barrel was CLEAN. Not a speck of anything in the barrel, I made darn sure of that. First round went high left and without any adjustment, the second and 3rd shots dropped 4". I have a feeling a fouled barrel will be necessary, again.

Shooting this morning, it was 92° with 62% humidity, with a 7mph wind. Shooting was at 100yds. As previously stated, I'm rusty as heck. Charge was 120grs VOLUME of BH209, H5045LB sabot and 300gr Hornady SST.

First_group_HOT_92_with_62_humidity.jpg

Hey George, you don't need a new funnel, shoot it with your thread protector. After shooting three mag pellets all this time, 120gr. of BH 209 is like shooting a .22.

fishhawk2700 said:
Hey George, you don't need a new funnel, shoot it with your thread protector. After shooting three mag pellets all this time, 120gr. of BH 209 is like shooting a .22.

Point taken :wink:

Around 37gr each so if you do the math that is a higher ejecta weight than 84grW/120grV of BH209.

Dougs136Schwartz said:
Seriously 3 mag pellets kick more than 120 grains of Blackhorn ?

:lol: .......... Doug, you should try 180grs of pellets once from an Ultimate. Believe me, without a brake it will, well, for a lack of a decent term, GET YOUR ATTENTION. Seriously, the burn rate is so fast shooting pellets from these rifles it'll knock your hat off. Its violent and not for the recoil shy. I would NEVER let anyone shoot my rifle with 3 - T7M pellets, unless I knew for a fact they could handle it and knew what they were getting into. And just know this, the rifle is capable of 200grs. Imagine that! Even as "eager" as I can be, after shooting 180grs, I want NOTHING TO DO with 200grs.
Believe me, shoot 5 rounds of 3-T7M pellets from an Ultimate without a brake, and you'll be the happiest person on the planet to go back to 120grs of BH. :wink:

I believe you.

GM I never thought about that . Your adding another 40 grains to a already 300 grain bullet .

Some of the loads these guys are shooting with Blackhorn ,530 grain bullets with 60 something grains of powder by weight pushing a bullet over 1500 fps I would imagine has more kick than any of our loads ! Balistcally if I'm figuring correct will kill my loads in the wind . Sorry to get off topic

Dougs136Schwartz said:
Seriously 3 mag pellets kick more than 120 grains of Blackhorn ?

Way more, and that's out of an eleven lb rifle. I shot 120 gr + out of an Omega/Brux build, and to me it was like shooting a 20GA. But that's me.

Latest posts

Back