45-70 conversion Extractor

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it were me, I would start with Fury 40 cal 225gr I n a HLBS with a Eastern Maine wool wad. I would get the minimum load for each to fill chamber and try all 3 powders, N120, N130, 4227 and work them up to see which is best
I should have started with this.I use 40cal 200gr XTPs to get it dialed in close then I switch over to the good stuff to tweak it on in.
Agree with your approach LBA, starting with the N120 but only have Barnes 195 and SST 200's on hand. I've ordered some 225's but they may not get here before the 28th when I'll be headed down to my property to put out some turkey blinds and do some shooting.

For starters I measured out 5 loads of the N120 at 55 grains (to ensure I get on paper) and then 3 loads each at 56-59 grains and then another 5 at 60. Read that 60 grs of the N120 usually does well in these Scouts. Plan on using the chronograph also.

John
Sounds like a plan......đź‘Ť......

My modules are from Hankins and I have no problems with them. Are you putting them in past the extractor?
I'm in Texas now and I haven't shot my conversion enough to recall the position of the extractor when I install the module. I do know that I always put the module in with the barrel pointing down. Just a safety habit I have engrained in me. Installing the module on the bench could be causing your issue. Just thinking out loud here.

Thanks Clem. I ended up replacing the spring and now all is well. Seems I got a bad spring from CVA. The original spring wouldn't raise the extractor up enough to lift out even an empty shell casing. I will keep your idea in mind as I start shooting.
John

Danno,

I do not currently but did see loads on Hank's or Doug's boards, don't remember which, along with pressure traces so it's more likely Doug's board. I'd have to research further before moving to it.

I see you are on Hank's, did anyone answer your question there about the N130?

John

Last edited:
Danno,
Not sure if this will help you but below is a trace with just N130 using 67 grs and a 195gr Barnes in a Harvester Blue Sabot. Velocity was 2778 FPS and peak pressure was less than 30K. I would would start lower than the 67 and slowly work up. Richard on Hank's says he would use it interchangeably with 4198 so for me I would likely start at 55 grains and slowly work up. If you are using a Scout, keep in mind Jeff recommends 65 grains of 4198 as max but that's with a 275 grain bullet.

Screenshot_20240322_212041_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I should have been a bit more specific. Was hoping someone had worked up loads with something heavier than the 195bx. TGinPA's pressure traces has several loads, all using the 195bx. My converted 700ML is seven inches @ 1.250 so it could handle anything I am crazy enough to try (my old shoulder is the best indicator when a load is getting too stout).

Nope, no answers on Hank's.

Latest posts

Back