Bac together again with

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Barreled action made it today. Put it back together and modified my shoot'n box to hold the modules. Those who should know, notice anything different? :wink:

IMG_1270.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

Made the jump to 209 did ya? Tomorrow's the 4th, so you could celebrate the move by firing up that warehouse full of T7 pellets with some fuse.....eh? lol

Nice looking gun. I love black/stainless.

MrTom said:
Made the jump to 209 did ya? Tomorrow's the 4th, so you could celebrate the move by firing up that warehouse full of T7 pellets with some fuse.....eh? lol

Thanks. The T7 warehouse has been SOLD. Took about 5 minutes after I posted a photo of the cases :wink:

MrTom said:

The Modules hold Large Rifle Mag primers instead of 209's.

ShawnT said:
MrTom said:

I think he was talking BH209 :)

ENCORE50A said:
ShawnT said:
MrTom said:

I think he was talking BH209 :)
Oh. Opps! :oops: :lol:

ENCORE50A said:
MrTom said:

Thanks. The T7 warehouse has been SOLD. Took about 5 minutes after I posted a photo of the cases :wink:

Forgot to mention, that stock will probably go up for sale when the new Game Warden shows up. Went with a different color, the DARK McWoody. The new ASG breech plug made the switch to BH possible.

That is a SAWEEEEET Looking setup!! As a BIG Remington 700 Fan, This is AWESOME!! :yeah:

Cooler this morning, target is hanging. Just waiting for the "fuggies" to wake up, or until I can't stand it any more. About to make some smoke and re-zero a rifle. Wife thinks I should wait a little longer for them all to get up :huh?: That's when I told her about them and their fireworks, keeping me up till 3:00am. Nope, in a short I'll be making some BH209 smoke again.

Now before I go on...… I haven't shot this muzzleloader for darn near a year, which was last September I believe prior to hunting. Other than shooting the .450 Bushmaster a few times, some medical issues have kept me off the range. It'll get better...……...

FIRST OFF...……………. THANK YOU LUKE (ASG)!

The ignition system is PERFECT! No leaking and INSTANT ignition of BH209! No leaking around the modules! Luke nailed it :yeah:

There's no doubt there's a new, or reversed, learning curve now that I'm back shooting BH209. First off, I need a better funnel than the one I have for loading. Next, and this most will not believe, BH209 from this rifle, is much more dirty than it was shooting pellets. Maybe it was just blacker vs the gray of the pellets, but boy did I end up with dirty hands.

Next thing is a question for Jeff or anyone else..... What exactly do you use to swab between shots? Now I fired two different ways, first with swabbing using BBPBS and a dry patch, then shot without swabbing at all. Actually not swabbing gave me a more consistent loading, where swabbing created different loading forces (an issue for accuracy). I'm far from convinced that BBPBS is what should be used with BH.

It felt great to be back shooting again, but I also realize how rusty I've gotten. Had it on paper with the first round, then made the necessary scope adjustments. Prior to shooting, this rifle barrel was CLEAN. Not a speck of anything in the barrel, I made darn sure of that. First round went high left and without any adjustment, the second and 3rd shots dropped 4". I have a feeling a fouled barrel will be necessary, again.

Shooting this morning, it was 92° with 62% humidity, with a 7mph wind. Shooting was at 100yds. As previously stated, I'm rusty as heck. Charge was 120grs VOLUME of BH209, H5045LB sabot and 300gr Hornady SST.

First_group_HOT_92_with_62_humidity.jpg

Very Good start. Been quite rusty myself and hate trying to shoot in this heat! :( I sure hope it won't be like this all summer.

I have rifles that shot great without swabbing and some that like to be swabbed. The rifles that like a swab are done with just a dry patch, otherwise like you I get erratic loading feel in the bore. I don't like to swab with a damp patch when shooting BH as I had found that it caused a small amount of BH ash to become like a slurry. When you go to clean the rifle try pushing a dry patch (both sides) all the way though before the solvent patches. It will remove a lot of that ash that would otherwise become a nasty slurry once the Wet patches get at it, then you will need a lot less patches.

Some may remember this and others will not believe it, but I have one rifle that actually gets a small crud ring when using BH and it is not primer dependent either. Its my KRB7. It is much better than it was originally since I switched to only using Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner in the bore. It is still there but less so and a dry patch will push it out pretty good till I clean it then I use a nylon brush on it. I forget how long ago It was now that I got this rifle working with BH but I reported this back then too. Its the only rifle I have that gets it. I have come to the conclusion there is some sort of anomaly in that spot on the bore and you just can't see it.

Not 100% sure but I think Jeff "Cleans" the rifle between shots not just swab, but my have misunderstood that too.

ShawnT said:
Very Good start. Been quite rusty myself and hate trying to shoot in this heat! :( I sure hope it won't be like this all summer.

I have rifles that shot great without swabbing and some that like to be swabbed. The rifles that like a swab are done with just a dry patch, otherwise like you I get erratic loading feel in the bore. I don't like to swab with a damp patch when shooting BH as I had found that it caused a small amount of BH ash to become like a slurry. When you go to clean the rifle try pushing a dry patch (both sides) all the way though before the solvent patches. It will remove a lot of that ash that would otherwise become a nasty slurry once the Wet patches get at it, then you will need a lot less patches.......

There's a re-learning process I'm going to have to follow. Shawn, I believe I'd be better off just swabbing it with a dry patch. I played this morning, but I'll have to start getting more serious too. Unlike when shooting T7 pellets and using Butch's, when shooting BH there WAS erratic loading force using Butch's. I know that will change my groups. Next session I'll try it with just dry patches, likely two and see how it loads. Heck, I may get the force gauge back out LOL.

Now its spottless clean, lubed and put back in the safe. It cleaned up no less easier nor harder than when shooting T7, but boy was it nice removing a breech plug again! I torqued it to 70ip and it removed with 70ip. Absolutely "0" leaking. NONE! I cleaned it with Hoppe's, but I'm ordering the Montana Extreme BH209 cleaner. I used that in my Encores and Pro Hunters and found it worked excellent.

Now, with shooting BH, the rifle might also like/love a different bullet/sabot. Most with a BP Xpress can shoot a Parker BE exellent, where I was NEVER able to shoot either the 275 or 300's and make them group. Its like starting over :)

You can use butchs bore shine but rifle version absolutely not black powder version.

I use hoppes9 mixed 50/50 with 91% isopropyl alcohol.

One damp patch and 2 dry patches between every shot.

bestill said:
You can use butchs bore shine but rifle version absolutely not black powder version.

I use hoppes9 mixed 50/50 with 91% isopropyl alcohol.

One damp patch and 2 dry patches between every shot.

Next session, I'll try that. Thank you.

I have used several different products. Remington shotgun cleaner. It evaporates very fast . Brake cleaner also evaporates fast . I have used Jeff's 50/50 mix . If it's stupid hot I just use straight Hoppies but have the patch just damp. I personally like either Brake cleaner or Remington shotgun cleaner . That stuff evaporates so fast I dont have to worry.

I'm sure you already know this . You may have to wait longer between shots . Also with this stupid heat you may need to lighten your charge . Most guys that shoot sabots shoot very well with charges 90-110 by VOLUME ! I know you George you will get it figured out I have no doubt.

I know several do not care for Toby Bridges. I have read several articles where he shoots 110 to 115 with Blackhorn without cleaning between shots but he waits almost 5 minutes between shots . I do not have that kind of patience . That is why I like sabotless

Latest posts

Back