Anyone using 250gr gold dots?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rangeball

Reaction score
Wondering how they perform up close and personal or long range on whitetails at around 1900 fps muzzle velocity?

Rangeball

Outstanding on whitetail...

The goverment got involved so Gold Dots as we use to know them havea new name - they are now called a "Deep Curl"

GoldDotPerformance.jpg

sabotloader said:
The goverment got involved so Gold Dots as we use to know them havea new name - they are now called a "Deep Curl"

Curious, what did the govt do to result in Speer making the name change?

Just like Winchester changing the name of the Black Talons about 10yrs ago.

Thanks, I bought a box of 50 way back when thinking I'd shoot them from my SML at 2300 fps, speer told me that was way too fast, they run them from 800-1800 fps.

They may be perfect for my buddies' dad's accura with BH209 though.

You get good accuracy with them? What sabot from what gun?

Rangeball

speer told me that was way too fast, they run them from 800-1800 fps.

Of course Speer is correct - they were designed for the 45 colt. But I can tell you I shoot them right a 1900 fps in most guns and even faster in the Knights and TC.... they work very well.

452-250GD-BH.jpg

Accuracy.. with the convave base the Speer has, I believe it needs to be shot at higher velocity especially when shooting over 75 yards in range to maintain accuracy....

This is only a 50 yard velocity testing target - but I think you can see the potential of the Speer - this the 300 grain Speer

3-22-KEMHC-net.jpg

Thanks for all the input, very helpful. Last thing we were waiting on showed up, so now we just have to mount everything and find the time to slip out and shoot :)

Rangeball

Last thing we were waiting on showed up, so now we just have to mount everything and find the time to slip out and shoot

Have a ball I am about 30 minutes from heading out myself....

Gotta Go do some bullet testing - got that Gotta Go!!!

They knock the snot out of a phone book too. :D

With just 80gr BH209

SpeerGoldDot45LC250.jpg

The bullet only held onto about 135gr but it penetrated fine on the rather tough layered media and should retain a bit more on a deer hit at a similar fps. Several other bullets ive put thru the same test penetrated better but the GoldDot wound channel is one of the largest. I use the 50A&E-300gr DeepCurl in a 54x50 sabot also and it is just plain nasty with a hefty charge.

Latest posts

Back