American pioneer powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scare

Reaction score
Has anybody tried the american pioneer loose powder. The salesman for it claims it leaves no residue like bh 209, but it has all the other simularities of triple 7. Like no special breech plug, cleans up with water, and is easily ignitable. and is priced comparable to triple 7. I am just looking for something I don't have to swab the barrel after every shot like triple 7. I would just use blackhorn 209 but I can"t find any. What can you guys tell me?

Far less powerful than Triple7 and BH209. Easy cleanup and ignition though. Very coarse grain size. You should be able to get way more shots without the need to swab vs Triple7.

I've been shooting it in traditional rifles that I have still new to that,, I'm going to shoot it in in lines also it is my protest powder,, if the blackhorn situation doesn't change it's going to become one of my permanent powders instead of a protest powder,, it is easy cleanup and I have no issues with crude ring

Shooters World powder is basically the same thing also. APP makes it for them.
83678.jpg

I have both pioneer and shooters world I can't tell any difference I know it's the same powder I think for most hunting muzzleloader situations 150 yards 100 yards and in this powder it's fine, I hope they have somebody in the lab working on a blackhorn replacement!

App is a vitamin C based powder. Not even close to tripple7 and tipple 7 is a touch behind black horn 209.

App is very destructive on barrels if not cleaned soon after shooting,
Ask me how I know, thanks Jim Shockey lier

App is very destructive on barrels if not cleaned soon after shooting,

Not in my experience.

i've used all the powders made by APP: APP, Jim Shockey's Gold, Pinnacle, Black MZ and Shooters World Black 3F. Residue from those powders is light compared to black powder. No need to swab between shots; i sometimes fire 20-40 rounds without swabbing. Cleanup is easy using tap water.

The formula for the new Shooters World powder is different than the other APP powders, it don't smell the same. Velocity of Shooters World 3F is close to Black MZ.

Back