Action screw...torque ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geraldbergeron

Reaction score
Hi,

For the best precision, how much torque do I have to put for the front and rear action screws ?

I have read:

"Most of the centerfire guys say 65 inch pounds for the Savage action screws. Some say 65 for the front and 50 for the rear and all have their pet way of doing it. 65 inch pounds is 7.3 newton meters."

What do you think ?

Thank You.........................................................G?rald....................../

geraldbergeron said:
Hi,

For the best precision, how much torque do I have to put for the front and rear action screws ?

I have read:

"Most of the centerfire guys say 65 inch pounds for the Savage action screws. Some say 65 for the front and 50 for the rear and all have their pet way of doing it. 65 inch pounds is 7.3 newton meters."

What do you think ?

Thank You.........................................................G?rald.................
GOOD QUESTION, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ALSO

25 in. lbs,according to Randy and HB. That is what I use and no problems.65 in lbs seems excessive to me.

Tar-12 said:
25 in. lbs,according to Randy and HB. That is what I use and no problems.65 in lbs seems excessive to me.
25 both screws? or in the case of the hb all three screws?

billyzink said:
Tar-12 said:
I only torque the front 2,I leave the front trigger guard screw to "feel"Which means pretty light.The problem people run into is over torqueing and destroying the pillar.I forgot to say that is on my HB,I torque both at 25in lbs on the non-Henrys with no mods.

I talked to Henry Ball last week. He confirmed 25 inch/lbs on both screws. I use a small torque wrench to accomplish this. 65 inch/lbs is the torque value used for H&S Prescision stocks with aluminum bedding blocks.

Tar-12 said:
billyzink said:
Tar-12 said:
I only torque the front 2,I leave the front trigger guard screw to "feel"Which means pretty light.The problem people run into is over torqueing and destroying the pillar.I forgot to say that is on my HB,I torque both at 25in lbs on the non-Henrys with no mods.
got it!!! thanks

Randy said:

http://modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=262

"II. Over-torque of pillar screws.

25 inch pounds is optimum, according to patent holder Henry Ball. Too many guns have deformed stock screws?apparently a lot of 10ML-II owners can really muscle beach their screws?
"

Thank you everybody.....................................G?rald...................../

....and for those of you without a inch pound torque wrench, 25 inch pounds is pretty darn light. Probably alot less then many of you who have to do this by feel might think. Just a word to the wise :wink:

Once you get it torqued simply put a mark on the screw head and tighten to the same position each time. 8)

Haven't receined it yet but doesn't the Savage E Z Tool from Tom Scott pretty much put an end to removing/re-installing the actions screws?
smoer

dwhunter said:
savageml10-2 said:
ok in what order? front first or rear?????????????

Front.

Hi dwhunter,

I would like to know whay you suggest to tighten the front screw FIRST .

I was told that I should tighten the rear screw first; if I tighten the FRONT screw first, there could be a problem with a less floating barrel ...

What do you think ?

Anybody else ?

...............................Thank you for the attention...............G?rald....../

The front screw is tightened first as it is nearest the recoil lug, and is SOP.

SavageE Z Tool came today and does it work great...wish I had thought of it. Thanks for the advice folks. smoker

Back