600 pound deer load???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich M

Reaction score
I got pulled for a specialty hunt where we chase Sambar deer and have to use bow or muzzleloader. I'll be using a .50 CVA Wolf muzzleloader.

My buddy & I have been debating the following:

Heavy & slow 400 gr+ and mid-weight 250-300 gr & fast.

We both have magnum muzzleloaders and scopes. Shots will likely be less than 75 yards. But there is the chance for longer range shots...

I want something that will punch thru the shoulder of the big deer but also be shootable out to 125 yards for my regular deer hunting as well. I don't have time to work up two loads.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Even though the deer is 600 pounds, if your rifle does not shoot conicals well, consider a Barnes Expander in 250 or 300 grain. With a good powder charge you would get excellent penetration, excellent expansion, and the Barnes are known for their accuracy.

Some other bullets would be the Nosler Partition. These are shot at elk which are as big as the deer you describe and it puts them on the ground as well. Again, another accurate projectile as well. And for the longer shots, these sabots will do the job. But then again, so will a big conical.

Good luck on your hunt. It sounds very exciting.

I would be using the 300 gr loads. I am using that for elk and they go a tad larger than 600 lbs. The 290 TMZ with 120 gr of BH209 will do the trick. It will punch through the shoulders with no problem and still fly flat enough for 200 yard shots.

Thanks, Guys. Will look at the Barnes Exp. and TMZ bullets. Hope to shoot tomorrow...

Wolf

Do not overlaod that Wolf. It likes 80-90 grains of T7. I f you push bullets to ht hard out of that they will tumble and not hit the target w. cosistency.

Can you post a pic of a Sanbar deer, I'm taking for granted that this is an out of country hunt? I've never heard of these

MI88

Oh.... I don't have a photo.

They do look like a sitka and are about the size of a cow elk.

The island used to be a game farm back in the 30's or 40's and these critters have survived.

Thanks to the economy I haven't had much work and can't swing either this hunt or my MT mule deer hunt....do have my 3rd deer hunt coming up. Hopefully 3rd time is a charm.

Back