darn cracked a rib right before deer season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickt300

Reaction score
Have my Encore sighted in with the 300 gr. SST and 100 grains of MPB. I ain't shooting that while I am hurting like this. So Thinking about using my old Firehawk loaded with the Lee 255 gr. 45 Colt bullet sized to .452, some red sabots I took off the SST's (replaced with smooth black sabots) And load a measly 60 grs. by volume of Shooters world MPB. I already know this load shoots pretty good because it is a practice load. My shot distance can't exceed 75 yards due to cover and I would have to look for a place I could see that far. My guess is the load gives 1200 to 1300 fps? Maybe a bit more? At any rate it would seem enough for deer at close range. Man running the ram rod is killer!

I was chasing my two Catahoulas up a hill, they were all over a big one. It had just rained last saturday and the ground was wet and my right foot just happened to land on some wet dirt a mole had pushed up. Down I went hard on my left hand which was in a fist as I had two leads in it. Right under my sternum on the edge of my ribs. I knew right then that hog was getting away. Blew the recall whistle and started back to the truck. Happily the dogs came a running. I was hoping a week would improve it a lot more than it is. Being 67 , caught some smack from the wife over chasing hogs in the dark with the dogs. I told her if I didn't do it nobody else would run em. Haven't gone to the doc and don't see a real reason as it just hurts and he will just tell me to rest and take pain pills blah blah blah I can hear that for free from the wife.

Sorry about your rib. Never had a broken rib but I can imagine how much it hurts. I twisted my body too far earlier this and pulled the muscles on the left side of my ribcage. For about a week if I moved the wrong way it would hurt like the dickens and take my breath away. Cocking the Xbow was painful. It sucks getting old!

Being human and since my wife had secretly instructed my son and Grandson to start cracking the whip on going to the doctor I went. Xrays showed a slight crack in two ribs and further examination showed my biggest issue is stretched muscle tissue around said ribs. So what did he do? Prescribed a muscle relaxer, a anti biotic and an anti inflammatory. Worse he said be as immobile as possible for 3 weeks! Well happily no one went with me so I am going deer hunting from the 17th through Thanksgiving and just going to smile when it hurts. After all just how many deer seasons do I have left?

aaI have never been injured during deer season. I have been injured the day before the season started and the day after the season ended but never during...
I have never been injured during deer hunting either. I had a friend back a few years ago that stepped in a hole in the ground coming out of the woods in the evening in the dark. Broke his ankle very badly and had to have surgery. He wasn't fully healed for six months. Fortunately he had his phone called me and I helped him out of the woods to the hospital. Now I always carry a small flash light so Idon't break my own ankle.

I hope you’re doing OK. The healing process is usually very slow when I was 24. I had two broken ribs. The doctor told me absolutely no deer hunting. I understood because of the pain that I was in in the difficulty I was having breathing & every little movement was excruciating. Understanding is not the same as complying. I knew I’d be hunting the moment he told me that I couldn’t. It was opening day of the Michigan Gun season and I have my 12 gauge Browning. I’m not sure how long it took me to walk about 75 yards into the woods from my truck, but it seems like forever and sure enough right after daylight a buck walked in. I got him my sights and touched the trigger. The deer dropped like a rock and at the moment I thought he got the better end of the deal, lol. However, The worst part wasn’t over. My father, who was hunting the farm across the street heard me shoot only once & figured I must’ve missed so he left and went home because we were supposed to meet for breakfast. This of course was before cell phones so there I was with two broken ribs and a dead deer. I thought that dressing the deer was bad, but it was nothing compared to trying to load it into my pick up.
hopefully, I never have to go through that again, and I would never wish it on someone else, but I can tell you if it ever does happen, I’m staying home

Greg

Being human and since my wife had secretly instructed my son and Grandson to start cracking the whip on going to the doctor I went. Xrays showed a slight crack in two ribs and further examination showed my biggest issue is stretched muscle tissue around said ribs. So what did he do? Prescribed a muscle relaxer, a anti biotic and an anti inflammatory. Worse he said be as immobile as possible for 3 weeks! Well happily no one went with me so I am going deer hunting from the 17th through Thanksgiving and just going to smile when it hurts. After all just how many deer seasons do I have left?
Well you didn't go against doctor's orders because you shuold be as still as possible deer hunting!

Back