54 Renegade Best Accuracy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rost495

Reaction score
Hello all again:

I've yet to shoot my Renegade. I have a Hawken in 45 that I tinkered with for a long time to shoot around 2 inches at 100 IIRC.

Whats the best accuracy I can expect out of my 54 Renegade. I'm a competitive highpower shooter and large groups don't make me happy and I tend to do lots of tweaking and testing to get small groups.

I know that BP rifles can be extremely accurate too given the right food.

What I want to know is what to expect.

Especially at 200 yards max. Can I get to 4 inches or less possibly?

What would one expect the gun being capable of at 100 yards off bags?

I can shoot an iron sighted gun in groups under an inch at 100 so my end should be ok, though I"ll have to remember to watch my follow through a bit better.

Last question of the day. Usually sidelock guns seem to be less accurate than the newer inline rifles. Why is that? Is it just a better barrel(IE can I replace my TC barrel with a Green mountain and be better off) or does it also have to do with vibrations, locktime, direct ignition, etc...

I'm just in a learning mood today and would love to see the input!!

Plus I can't wait to get into the advanced forum, and have to have more posts, but don't just want to post away to get to the required number.

Oh yeah, one more--buying a musket nipple for the renegade-- get regular or the one with a perpidicular hole in it? RWS Musket caps and don't look back??
Thanks, Jeff

Back