.54 Patched Roundball 100 Yard Chronograph Data

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
Well guy’s I’m THOROUGHLY impressed with the Ole .54 Cal .530 Roundball, She has some AUTHORITY to her! Quite a lot more than I figured it would have :Red tup:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B2P97R8stJs" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

I ran the Numbers through a Shooters Calculator to get the Foot pounds of Energy, 693 Ft pounds of Energy at 105 Yards. That is MUCH better than my Lyman Book Shows, It doesn’t show this exact load, and is why i chose to test for myself. Now I don’t have to guess? I KNOW EXACTLY what the Ball is Doing :Red tup:

EP9tmLjl.jpg

That's good data.  What charge did you use?  80 or so grains of 2f?
If you said in the video I apologize, but my speakers are out so I don't get audio right now.

Renegadehunter said:
That's good data.  What charge did you use?  80 or so grains of 2f?
If you said in the video I apologize, but my speakers are out so I don't get audio right now.
Yep,  80 Grains of Swiss 2F

1,178 and 1,180 Fps over the Graph at 105 Yards, I was impressed with that!! I was thinking 950, maybe 1,000 Fps? But it turned out much better than that! 

I wish i had checked Muzzle Velocity as well, But I headed straight for 100 Yards since that is where i Plan to Kill out to. My guess is Muzzle velocity would be around 1800 fps? I am beating this Lyman Book pretty badly, my 80 Grains of Swiss 2F is Faster than their 120 Grain load listing of Goex 3F

Sweet. Thx for sharing. I have the same gun and use same load too. 
Good info to know.

Thanks for sharing your chrono info Idaholewis. 

I get virtually same results. .530 ball, 80 grains Goex, 34" barrel.  Great info!  BTW my actual MV is 1679 FPS.

Good info! Thanks for posting! :)

I'm pretty sure my data will be different using the same powder and charge. Variations in bore measurements, possibly barrel lengths ...

I would be shocked if the T/C Hawken rifles with a serial number plus and minus one from mine (if they still exist, and are/were the same caliber as mine) would exactly match the ballistics of mine.

My T/C Hawken (.54 cal. 28 inch 1:48 twist barrel) likes 110 grains Swiss FFg behind a patched Hornady .530 round ball best.
Using 80 grains of Swiss FFg gave me larger 5 shot groups at 100 yards than 100 and 110 grains did.
80 grain loads were "accurate enough" for deer size critters though.

Wish I had a 1:60 ~ 1:70 twist round ball barrel for this rifle ...

Wish I had a 1:60 ~ 1:70 twist round ball barrel for this rifle ...
Try contacting Bobby Hoyt, 2379 Mount Hope Road, Fairfield, PA 17320; (717) 642-6696

He recently made a 20 gauge smooth bore barrel for my T-C Pennsylvania Hunter at a very reasonable price, much better than the fleabay prices for New Englander smooth barrels. This included turning the front half round and cutting in a wedding band transition. The bore on the T-C .50 barrel was real rough so I had him rebore it to .54 (this was before he made the smooth barrel). It is 1 turn in 55" and is doing well for me. Also very reasonable.

~WH~

Try contacting Bobby Hoyt, 2379 Mount Hope Road, Fairfield, PA 17320; (717) 642-6696

He recently made a 20 gauge smooth bore barrel for my T-C Pennsylvania Hunter at a very reasonable price, much better than the fleabay prices for New Englander smooth barrels. This included turning the front half round and cutting in a wedding band transition. The bore on the T-C .50 barrel was real rough so I had him rebore it to .54 (this was before he made the smooth barrel). It is 1 turn in 55" and is doing well for me. Also very reasonable.

~WH~
Thanks for the tip. :)

Back