.50 cal rifle to smoothbore

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm currently working on an CVA Optima V2 LR .50 cal. During this process I've ended up with an extra barrel for it, and I was thinking how cool it would be to have an extra shotgun barrel for it. Now I have read all the discussions that I have found about reaming/honing barrels out, and understand that they don't pattern so well without a choke. My question is this; Can an inline barrel be reamed out and sleeved with a tapered sleeve to give it some choke? Just looking for a squirrel/rabbit gun. 30 yd shots at most

Attachments

• 20220808_203225.jpg
    20220808_203225.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
I see this thread is ageing but never had a response. I would think the simplest solutions would be:
1) Ream out and polish the bore, then experiment with the "SkyChief load" [you'll need to Google that & read up on it]
2) If that fails to give satisfactory results, then have a JUG-CHOKE cut into the front of the barrel. Should be a fun project as you search out the best loads.

Why not have it threaded for choke tubes then you could have whatever choke you wanted? As long as there's enough thickness in barrel shouldn't be a problem.

If a gunsmith determines that it can be reamed out to a 28 gauge (.550" ) that would be pretty cool and then like the above poster said, you can have it threaded for screw in chokes. Remember however that this will still be a BLACKPOWDER firearm. Actually I think its a pretty cool idea.

Thank you for the responses, I honestly had forgotten this post. I still have that barrel project in mind though. I'll look into the Sky Chief load, never heard of it. As for the jug choke, that could be an option. Ive got a Knight TK2000 12ga that is jug choked in addition to threaded chokes. It's a pretty mean shotgun in its own right
I kind of like the idea of a 28ga threaded for a super full turkey choke. Gives some added options. I guess the next step is to find a gunsmith interested in doing the work.
I've added a matching pistol to the mix. Would make the additional shotgun barrel even more cool in my opinion. Kind of a complete set.

At 30 yards you can get very good patterns if you use plastic wads that are designed to tighten patterns also wads can open pattern if you need that for bird hunting

If you buy unslit plastic wads you can experiment by cutting your own number and length of slits. I've gotten noticeable pattern improvements with the TK2000 and modern smokeless shotguns.

Thank you for the responses, I honestly had forgotten this post. I still have that barrel project in mind though. I'll look into the Sky Chief load, never heard of it. As for the jug choke, that could be an option. Ive got a Knight TK2000 12ga that is jug choked in addition to threaded chokes. It's a pretty mean shotgun in its own right
I kind of like the idea of a 28ga threaded for a super full turkey choke. Gives some added options. I guess the next step is to find a gunsmith interested in doing the work.
I've added a matching pistol to the mix. Would make the additional shotgun barrel even more cool in my opinion. Kind of a complete set.
14in and threaded for chokes....

I would love to see companies like CVA and Traditions offer a percussion shotgun barrel as an accessory for their break-open guns. I just don't understand why they haven't thought of it. I'd buy one! I'm sure others would too.

Walt

I would love to see companies like CVA and Traditions offer a percussion shotgun barrel as an accessory for their break-open guns. I just don't understand why they haven't thought of it. I'd buy one! I'm sure others would too.

Walt
Well, CVA actually did at one time. The early Optima Pros were offered in .45 and .50 cal.and you could also get 12 ga barrels for them. I have a few of those rifles, and just thought it would be a cool addition to my V2. Optima Elites had an even larger selection of barrels including centerfires.

Well, CVA actually did at one time. The early Optima Pros were offered in .45 and .50 cal.and you could also get 12 ga barrels for them. I have a few of those rifles, and just thought it would be a cool addition to my V2. Optima Elites had an even larger selection of barrels including centerfires.
I have a Optima Elite with a 50 cal and a 270 barrel and love it both stainless and easy to clean

Back