.50 Cal GM LRH (395 Grain Bullet)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
Jonathan had me Worried about my little 395 Grain Accurate Molds Bullet! I loaded up this morning to go test it in my Green Mountain LRH .50 Cal 1:28 Twist. Jon tried tried this Bullet in his Stock 1:48 Twist and it didn’t do worth a Hoot, I am confident it would shoot well in his Rifle with a bit of tinkering (powder adjustments, OP Wads, Sizing, etc.) I only had 6 of them to Send him to try.

My concerns are cured in my own Rifle, they did good in it. Target was at least 50, and probably closer to 60 Yards, I didn’t have my Range finder but i have Shot a LOT of Archery over the years, Enough to get REALLY close. So Far This Rifle has Shot everything i have thrown at it REALLY well.
cSNqgEEl.jpg

Since this Target was Square Blocks i chose to use a Different insert in my 17 Globe, I would have liked it much better if it had of been 1 Sold Black Square, But i was able to get a decent repeatable Sight picture. This is the insert i chose
0yDunvZm.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9LX8Q9pCYIY" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

I have that same sight in one of my Pedersoli's my 45/120 and I have great luck with it . It seems to work great with my old worn out eyes.

Brave man you are Idadolewis to take-on that 4th shot ...I would have happily walked away after your first three!  :lol:    
Shooting a bit high it looks like you are dialed-in for 100 yards. Very nice range report and marksmanship.  Those inserts are so 8).

mark1945 said:
I have that same sight in one of my Pedersoli's my 45/120 and I have great luck with it . It seems to work great with my old worn out eyes.
I was wondering about peeps and aging eyes.  Do you wear any corrective lens when you shoot through peeps :?:

Marty said:
mark1945 said:
I was wondering about peeps and aging eyes.  Do you wear any corrective lens when you shoot through peeps :?:
Marty,  if it weren’t for my Peep sights i would be in DEEP DEEP Trouble!! I just can’t see regular Open sights worth a Darn anymore. The Target is what actually gets me with Regular open sights, it is REALLY Blurry/Fuzzy Looking, I end up having to Guess to much. I cut the Cornea BAD in my Right eye years ago working in the Woods, My eyeball actually Deflated To some degree, The Eye Dr was gonna Stitch it In the ER But decided to Give it a Few days and See if it would Heal on it’s own, I really thought i was gonna lose my sight in that eye! It ended up healing on its own

Long story short, Peep sights SAVED my Butt for shooting open sights! I have a Dozen Muzzleloaders and nearly EVERY one of them have a Peep sight setup on them, the few that don’t have them, live a boring life in my Gun Safe. 

When my vision is restricted down through a Peep sight i can see just as well as i did when i was a Kid! They honestly work that well!

Here is a test for you to try. Take an Old Spoon, anything large enough to Cover your entire Eye, Drill a tiny 1/16” or so Hole in the Center, Pick a Clock, or a similar object in the Distance that you cannot clearly make out? Now Cover your Shooting eye with the Spoon etc. that you Drilled the tiny hole in and Look at that Clock. Try this and let me know how it works for you? 

Here is something i did to try and Shoot regular Open sights, This works!!
Xewk3vNm.jpg

Here is Lyman’s version
http://www.eyepalusa.com/

Latest posts

Back