Your Name: Why, how and who gave it to YOU! Others you know the story to.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was born here, I is Native American... but anyway... my son pretty much gave me my name years ago, when he couldn't hear me walking behind him. He said, "Dad you are such a silent walker, in these woods" I tried to show him the art.

I was born here, I is Native American... but anyway... my son pretty much gave me my name years ago, when he couldn't hear me walking behind him. He said, "Dad you are such a silent walker, in these woods" I tried to show him the art.
When I was younger I too thought I was quiet in the woods, TILL I got hearing aids then wondered how in the h___ I ever got any elk or deer at all! Out

I'm also part Klingon on my mother's side of the family. Klingons don't do ANYTHING quietly! This is a photo of my great grandfather.

Here's a pic of my former supervisor.

My hunting, shooting bud and good friend of the last 40 years is Norwegian 100%, from Norway as is his whole family. My wife and yours truly went to one of their Christmas partys, the smell would knock you down coming from the kitchen. They were having a traditional Norwegian Christmas Dinner - Lutefisk served with pea stew, bacon and potatoes a Norwegian tradition at it's best.

full_traditional-lutefisk.jpg

buck conner.jpg

When I was younger I too thought I was quiet in the woods, TILL I got hearing aids then wondered how in the h___ I ever got any elk or deer at all! Out

Oh yeah, now that I'm over 90% deaf in my right ear, and about 45% in my left... things are even more quiet. I have hearing aids, but they don't help much.

I'm also part Klingon on my mother's side of the family. Klingons don't do ANYTHING quietly! This is a photo of my great grandfather.

Here's a pic of my former supervisor.
Hanshi I too must be part Klingon. My wife tells me I cling on to worthless crap (to her) way too long!

Gentlemen, sitting quietly in the woods....you can hear deer and elk walking a ways off. They don't seem to worry about walking quietly. Sounds of animals walking in the woods is a natural phenomenon. Smell and fast movement gets their attention real fast.

My name is pretty simple. I inherited a TC Renegade from my stepdad (my main father figure and the man that raised me to love the outdoors) when he passed away. He rarely shot it and I never had the opportunity to shoot it or any other BP rifle. It sat in my gun cabinet for about a year before I decided I was going to learn how to shoot and properly care for it. Once I shot it for the first time (went horribly I might add!), there was no looking back. I quickly realized that forums were a much better resource than most books I was finding, so when I signed up I decided that the rifle's name combined with my love for hunting was going to be my moniker. I'm really not much of a "renegade" in the definition of the word, it was simply for the rifle. I guess the little bit of Nez Perce I have in me isn't enough to influence my behavior in that regard.

I walk as quietly as possible when whitetail hunting and if I do screw up and make some noise I pause for quite a while before continuing on.
Hunting that way vs. archery elk hunting during the rut is some of the reason why I love elk hunting so much. Those of you that haven't hunted elk probably don't realize how noisy they are in the woods, it is unreal how much noise they make, especially a rutting bull running all over the place to keep his cows and other bulls from taking them. Since I'm running around making elk calls it actually adds more realism to it if I'm making a bunch of noise too...even though I can't begin to match the racket that they make.
Late muzzleloader elk season is back to hunting them like they are a whitetail.

I stay quiet for elk too. I never call because I don't want to give up my position.

The hardest animal to sneak up on is a bear. It seems they can smell us even when the wind is in our favor. I wish I could smell like that.

The first bobcat I ever killed was "spotted" by his sound. I was in my tree stand dozing away when an out of place sound got my attention. There not 30 yards away and walking directly away from me was a bobcat. A week later I got another the same way. I often "hunt" with my ears. I will close my eyes to keep from being distracted and hear deer moving. I learned to differentiate between deer, squirrel and bird movements. I've taken many deer that I heard long before I saw them.

The first bobcat I ever killed was "spotted" by his sound. I was in my tree stand dozing away when an out of place sound got my attention. There not 30 yards away and walking directly away from me was a bobcat. A week later I got another the same way. I often "hunt" with my ears. I will close my eyes to keep from being distracted and hear deer moving. I learned to differentiate between deer, squirrel and bird movements. I've taken many deer that I heard long before I saw them.

Was the bobcat hunting or just walking along? Big difference in the noise they make.

Was the bobcat hunting or just walking along? Big difference in the noise they make.

I actually never got the chance to ask it. I kinda doubt they just mosey around with no goal in mind. I'd think they are always on the hunt for vittles. They are silent critters and of all the ones I've seen in the woods only this one made a sound (just one sound) that got my attention. Deer, however, are easy to spot by sound.

Back