Ballet??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave James

Reaction score
Having been kicking around an idea for my 8 bore, its 1x144" twist and normaly I shoot a 900 to 1100 grain round ball.

Talking with a BP smith I know, we think a ballet of around 750-800 grains should work with the slow twist.

What think the group????

I'm confused Dave. How do you have balls that have that much difference in weight (900 - 1100 grains)? Is there that much difference between pure lead and an alloy? How would you make a ballet that weighs less than a ball?

That rifle alone would be something to shoot. Anything you hunt with that 8 bore?

Mostly the difference is in the lead mix I pick up from time to time and monky with additives such as silver and or tin.

When hunting I use a pure or close as possible lead ball and weigh each and every one on a scale to keep close, the ones I use on hogs run right at the 980 grain mark, For black bear I keep it at the 1100 grain mark.

I was reading up on the ballet use in 50 and 54's and the brain started working over time, thinking speed of reload would step up a tad.

Although so far nothing has needed a second shot.
http://www.pacificrifle.com/african.htm here's a link to the catalog mies the same.

Latest posts

Back