old underhammer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddy

Reaction score
I stumbled onto an old underhammer 50 cal. a while back. It has absolutely no markings whatsoever on it. Research tells me many gunsmiths produces these. The outside of this gun is nice but the inside of the barrel looks like a plowed cornfield. After a month of soaking and cleaning I've come to the conclusion that I'm wasting my time. I want to refurbish this old relic and shoot it. Does anyone know of a place I can get it relined?

I don't know of a place to get it relined, but if you can get a ball down it try and shoot it. It may be fairly accurate, even with a rusty/pitted bore. Shoot it a few times, it also may help clean it up a little.

I did some looking and reboring is out of the question$$$$$$$$$$. I'm goin' down to Mt. State Muzzleloader this weekend and see about purchasing a new barrel. The barrel is is fastened to the frame with a long breechplug that has a hole drilled thru it. A bolt goes thru the frame/breechplug/into a threaded hole on the other side. Should be an easy project but I may fire it from a distance once.

underhammer m/l

It seems it may be a Hopkins-Allen. My brother-in law has a very nice one. I could be wrong without seeing it. I'VE been trying to get it from him, but he won't turn it loose. :(

Back