Will 3f black powder work?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And this is why you should never "Pack Down" your main charge on Flintlocks. Leaving the main charge
a little loose to where the projectile just "sits" on the main charge, allows the grains to be a little looser,
which allows the burn rate throughout the powder to increase because of more exposed powder.

This helps speed up the lock time on flintlocks.
Flies in the face of fact , BP is used in cartridge (mine a 45/70 ) and to get 83 grains of OE 1 1/2 in the case a 30 inch drop tube is used with a vibration (electric razor) attached and then compacted with a die in my single stage press . If I make a mistake and need to disassemble that charge will come out as more or less a solid mass ! You will never compact to that degree with a ram rod (EVER) and trust me you will not beat that ( lock time) /Ed

There is a big difference between igniting powder with a spark and a primer.
And since this was not about an ignition source but a question of compaction I see your at least consistent on lack of fact ! I pointed out your lack of understanding on how powder is (NOT) effected by compaction but enhanced by compaction as different powders (LIKE) different rates of compaction making your opinion of (NO VALUE) And just so you don't continue with invalid assumption's I enjoy shooting rock locks immensely , a Kibler SMR being my favorite squirrel gun as my Sharps 1874 launching 530 gr paper patched rockets are a little to much overkill ! Ed

There is a big difference between igniting powder with a spark and a primer.

Paul Stewart, post #1....
"I can't find any 4f black powder for the priming pan for my flintlock rifle. Will 3f work in the pan along with 2f black powder down the barrel?
Thanks.
"

Sorry E, but this is about ignition, nothing asked at all about compaction.

I enjoy both your and mnolans30's information however your comments in capital letters have zero to do with the original question and I do feel you owe Mr. Noland an apology. And just so you know, everyone is entitled to an opinion without being told that their opinion is invalid or an invalid assumption. Since you cannot, or do not, show some credible credentials that would support your comments here regarding compaction with facts, I'll assume your reply to be largely assumption or opinion.

Last edited:
Paul Stewart, post #1....
"I can't find any 4f black powder for the priming pan for my flintlock rifle. Will 3f work in the pan along with 2f black powder down the barrel?
Thanks."

Sorry E, but this is about ignition, nothing asked at all about compaction.

I enjoy both your and mnolans30's information however your comments in capital letters have zero to do with the original question and I do feel you owe Mr. Noland an apology. And just so you know, everyone is entitled to an opinion without being told that their opinion is invalid or an invalid assumption. Since you cannot, or do not, show some credible credentials that would support your comments here regarding compaction with facts, I'll assume your reply to be largely assumption or opinion.
You know what they say about assumptions and you stepped in it ! This was a reply to a statement made as quoted ,not the OP s original question ,but try reading again and no on any apology/ get over it! Ed

Back