Who Uses A Peep Sight for Hunting?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbygunner

Reaction score
Just found out I've drawn a muzzleloader mule deer tag in Nevada for this September. I'm very excited as I've been putting in for around 5 years with no luck until today. Nevada is open sights only during muzzleloader season, so the 2X7 Leupold will be coming off the Endeavor. Thinking about getting a peep sight or PeepRib from E. Arthur Brown, does anyone here use peep sights? What are your thoughts, is a peep any better than the fiber sights?

For me, I am much more accurate with a peep sight (William's) setup than I am with iron sights. Open rifle sights I limit myself to 100 yds and under. Peep sight I am comfortable (with current eye sight) out to 150 yds. I don't like what I feel is a lack of precision with the few fiber optic sights I have tried. I use the factory post with dot front sight. I test at the bench different aperature sizes to find a compromise between field of view and accuracy.

peeps!

Peep sights are absolutely the most accurate (iron) sights available! Only a scope will permit you to be more accurate.

Thanks guys. Is it necesssary to replace the front sight? I have read it might be "too high" after a peep is installed. I would think there should be enough vertical adjustment in the peep to get it sighted in without replacing the front ramp.

Of the five or so rifles that I have installed Williams (WGRS - 5D - FP) aperature sights on, none of them required a new front sight. The AO and a few others seem to sit higher above the bore and may need a taller front sight to bring it back down on target.

I use my Knight Rolling Block with a ghost ring aperture sight and white stripe ramp front sight made by XS Sight Systems. I like the combo much better than fibre optics. It is accurate and fast, and works well in poor light.

You can order them here:

http://www.xssights.com/store/rifle.html

No drilling or tapping is required to install, they are fully adjustable and rugged, and they have a nice low profile.

They look like this:

100_0500.jpg

100_0501.jpg

100_0502.jpg

[/img]

Peep sights

I have a Thompson Center Scout Carbine, .50 Cal. 28" barrel that has a simply terrible Buckhorn sight on the rear. Does anyone know if there is a Peep sight I can use on this rifle. It just sits in the gun cabinet now, cuz I can't hit the Proverbial "BARN" with it nopw. I use & enjoy my peep sights on my M-1 Garand. I would love to be able to use the Scoit if I could. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Art :wink:

wildhobbybobby, that ghost ring is sweet! I love the clean look, gonna check into New England Custom.

Peep sights

Thanks Reese, I'm gonna call Williams & see what they say. Much obliged!!!!
Art :wink:

My Lyman Deerstalker has a Lyman 57 peep site mounted. I did not change the front site either.

A little off the subject but the mention of peep sights brought back some old memories. :) I carried an M1 for quite a while in the early 60's before we were issued M14's. Both had peep sights, and both were good accurate rifles. The M1 weighed 9 1/2 lbs and could definitely get heavy before the day was over.

I have the one mentioned in the OP and I'm not going back to fiber 3 dot. I can shoot a noticeable bit better with the peep. Hunting this year for the first time with it.

Hey, wbygunner, I screwed up! (First time in my life, though).

The ghost ring sights on my Knight are made by XS Sight Systems. I corrected my post and put the correct link in. Sorry...

wildhobbybobby, I guess there's a first time for everything! I'll check out the XS Systems, thanks for the update.

peeps are great

I've recently gone to aperture sights exclusively.Durability being a major factor.I have a Savage Model 10 aperture sight on my Black Diamond XR and its a fantastic sight.This sight was originally on the Savage Model 1919 target rifle and on the Model 23 as well.
If you can go wrong with an aperture sight it wont be by much. I can shoot inch or slightly less for 3 at 100 yards and with my old No4 MK2 Enfield I could shoot 6-9 inch groups at 300. Apertures will do just fine...

Here is another endorsement for the peep (aperture) sights. :D

I put a Eabco Peep-Rib sight system on my Triumph as I wanted the ability to quickly disconnect the 3x9 scope and use the peep sight on rainy days.

I am very pleased with the Eabco system and did not have to replace the front fiber optic post to boot.

The peep sight just naturally centers itself when you put the post into the sight picture...very accurate and that builds confidence in the ability to put the shot into the boiler room. :D :D :D

cleboje,

I ordered the peep rib myself. What height (low, med. or high) did you have to put on for the scope to clear the peep? Also, what size objective is your scope? Thanks!

wbygunner

wbygunner said:
cleboje,

I ordered the peep rib myself. What height (low, med. or high) did you have to put on for the scope to clear the peep? Also, what size objective is your scope? Thanks!

wbygunner

With the Eabco peep rib on my Omega, I had to use the tall Warne QD rings to clear the peep. Other's on here have used the Medium successfully. I had to return the mediums.

Latest posts

Back