White Hots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archer36

Reaction score
I was told that pelletized propellant weight can vary a great deal and detract from accuracy. I weighed 58 White Hot pellets and they varied between 33.4 and 34 grains (on a grain scale). I am of the understanding that the pellets do not actually weigh 50 gr each but have the equivalent of a 50 gr powder charge.
Anyway, here is my question. If I used 2x33.4 (66.8 total) VS 2x34 (68 total), is that enough of a disparity to make a difference in accuracy? I am not shooting out to 200 yds. I zero at 50 yds.

I agree with El Diablo.

I would not use pellets because you are limited on loads. With loose powder you can dial things in and find exactly what load works in your rifle.
I appreciate the advice. But I am using the White Hots now and had a question about pelletized powder that I never saw asked before.

The best way to answer your question may be to do some comparison shooting. Shoot loads with known pellet weights and see if your POI varies. Plus you get the fun of being at the range. Win Win.

The best way to answer your question may be to do some comparison shooting. Shoot loads with known pellet weights and see if your POI varies. Plus you get the fun of being at the range. Win Win.
I don't think my shooting abilities are good enough to expose such small changes. LOL.

I was told that pelletized propellant weight can vary a great deal and detract from accuracy. I weighed 58 White Hot pellets and they varied between 33.4 and 34 grains (on a grain scale). I am of the understanding that the pellets do not actually weigh 50 gr each but have the equivalent of a 50 gr powder charge.
Anyway, here is my question. If I used 2x33.4 (66.8 total) VS 2x34 (68 total), is that enough of a disparity to make a difference in accuracy? I am not shooting out to 200 yds. I zero at 50 yds.
It's not likely because those pellets and black powder substitutes are based on volume, not weight. If you'd research this issue you'd have found out that volume rules the day when it comes to BP and its substitutes. And since you're only shooting from short distances it matters even less. Let me ask you this...have you actually shot the thing with your proposed load and if so what was your result? I'm not busting your balls its just that we see many times on here people wanting us to predict your results when there is simply no way for us to do that. Take it to the range and find out for yourself. If after doing all that things aren't adding up let us know and we'll try and suggest possible courses of action.
Good luck and good shooting!

Last edited:
I think you're over thinking it too much buddy. At 50 yards you have a huge margin of deviation with similar results. Now obviously any difference in loads will effect poi but what results are you looking for? You wanna cloverleaf at 200yrds? Probably not with pellets. But alot of people get good results in the 50 and 100yrd range.

Go burn some powder and let's see the "holy" results on paper. 👍

It's not likely because those pellets and black powder substitutes are based on volume, not weight. If you'd research this issue you'd have found out that volume rules the day when it comes to BP and its substitutes. And since you're only shooting from short distances it matters even less. Let me ask you this...have you actually shot the thing with your proposed load and if so what was your result? I'm not busting your balls its just that we see many times on here people wanting us to predict your results when there is simply no way for us to do that. Take it to the range and find out for yourself. If after doing all that things aren't adding up let us know and we'll try and suggest possible courses of action.
Good luck and good shooting!
Well here's the issue. If I had less than great accuracy, do I chalk it up to the powder or my marksmanship? That's why I asked the question. If I got poor results I would assume it was the powder. If I didn't then the difference in weights was irrelevant. How do you know for sure? I have gotten only " no effect" replies on here and other forums which makes sense to me. The most variance in the loads would be 1.8 percent. That doesn't seem like enough to matter but since I am no expert on such matters, I asked the question. Thanks for your input.

To me the other issue is the possibility of crushing a pellet when seating the bullet, thus causing variations in burn and possibly causing accuracy problems?
My understanding is the hole down the center was to facilitate an even burn? Do white hots even have that?
I’ve only ever used loose cause pellets just seemed like a gimmick to me.

Well here's the issue. If I had less than great accuracy, do I chalk it up to the powder or my marksmanship? That's why I asked the question. If I got poor results I would assume it was the powder. If I didn't then the difference in weights was irrelevant. How do you know for sure? I have gotten only " no effect" replies on here and other forums which makes sense to me. The most variance in the loads would be 1.8 percent. That doesn't seem like enough to matter but since I am no expert on such matters, I asked the question. Thanks for your input.
Is this your 1st foray into the shooting sports? Why I ask is have you shot well with other guns? Centerfire or rimfire? If you have proven to yourself you can shoot then that rules you out here.

Is this your 1st foray into the shooting sports? Why I ask is have you shot well with other guns? Centerfire or rimfire? If you have proven to yourself you can shoot then that rules you out here.
No, not my first. But, as I mentioned, poor accuracy with a M/L could be for various reasons. Bullet, sabot, condition of barrel, etc. Just trying to rule out one of them.

You did not include the pellets in your short list of possible problems. You will never know how well the gun can shoot if you shoot only pellets. They'd be the first change I made.

You did not include the pellets in your short list of possible problems. You will never know how well the gun can shoot if you shoot only pellets. They'd be the first change I made.
I agree...

It seems you are trying to trouble shoot accuracy issues, without actually shooting your rifle. You will have to spend some time on the range.

I can't see that you have said what rifle you are shooting. It may help if we knew. Someone on the forum can probably suggest a good load for your rifle.

Every rifle seems to have a "pet" load. I have a T/C Renegade .54 cal. It shoots PRBs just great with 80 grains Pyrodex RS. However, 90 grains sends balls all over the target. When I move up to 100 grains, it's back on zero. Trial and error... Find the load that shoots well and use it.

Latest posts

Back