Which .30 ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doohan

Reaction score
I am DREAMING of a new rifle..

A Sendero comes to mind......

In my dreams, I am considering a 300 Win Mag vs. 300 RUM and keep coming up with the RUM.... Possibly 300 WSM as well...

I do not want a muzzle break and I do have experience with a sporter weight 700 in the same caliber/300 RUM... ( I sighted in a buddies as he was scared of it )

180grn bullets at 3200-3400 fps is amazing to me... BUT, I wonder if I would be better off with a 300 win as it is better rounded for some paper punching and barrel life would be better ... ditto for recoil.

Local dealer has a cherry Browning A-Bolt in 300 RUM topped with a Sightron 3x9 for $575..

That a good deal? Good Rifle?

They just had an article in the most recent Outdoor Life by Jim Carmichael about what new cartridges will make it. He talked about several of the 30's, you might read that. If you reload it may not make much of a difference, then I would get what you like.
Unless you shoot alot I would not worry much about barrel life.

Gee, decisions, decisions, decisions :wink: . I went through that last winter. I opted for the 300 WSM. Bought a Tikka light and like the gun and the way it handles. It shoots great IMO. I found a load and am shooting 165 grain bullets and got under MOA. I'm well over 3000 FPS which IMO is plenty for anything that walks this continent. I've go experience with the other calibers you mention although I was also considering them. I can tell you that my rifle recoils pretty good, but that's also because of the light weight. I'm sure the other you're looking at recoil about the same. Isn't it fun though looking for a new rifle.

I am DREAMING of a new rifle..

Doohan,

If you decide to pen to paper on this let me know. I see alot of very nice guns in this arena. It seems 90% of the people that pay big money to own these guns regret it and find few buyers in the aftermarket. In fact it is not unusual to see high end customs in these calibers in brand new condition selling for thousands less than the buyer paid for them.

JC

NO DOUBT..

First decision is caliber. .300 Winchester Mag no doubt. Lapua brass readily available. No brainer. Second decision is which rifle. You like tactical stuff so why not a Remington XCR in .300 Winchester? A Sendero SF II would be another nice one. Next in line would be a Savage Model 112 Varminter Low Profile. That's what I'd get..

Which .30

I agree with Big 6x6 about the Savage. A Rayhill stock with a match grade barrel in 300 Win. Mag. combined with Lapua brass would be my choice.

Big 6x6 is right again. Pick the caliber then the rifle chambered for it.

The "Savage" is the logical choice because once you get tired of being pushed around by the 300 win mag all you have to do is change bolt heads and a barrel swap and you will have a "shoulder" friendly rifle.

Choc-dog

What do you plan to do with the rifle? I think your intent will help you decide what type of 30 cal to get. If you are just punching paper, get something easy on the shoulder. If you need to reach out an touch an elk our mulie out west you'll probably want something fast. When the animal is in the crosshairs you won't feel the recoil. :wink:

Latest posts

Back