Where the heck are all the #11 percussion caps

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I checked with my local Walmart, near KC, MO, every week or two throughout the entire fall and they never got any caps at all, nor did they get any other muzzle loading necessities like lead balls or powder/substitute of any kind! It's like they said to heck with you ML guys!

Walmart does not stock gun related stuff in stores in or near large urban areas. You have to find a Walmart farther away in smaller towns.

My local Walmart, the one I mentioned above just on the outskirts of the KC Metro, stocks rifles, shotguns, scopes, clay pigeons, many hunting/shooting accessories and ammo for all of them, so I'm not sure that your experience holds true in all cases, earlwb, but thanks for your insight! I'll have to try one a little further out and see if that's the case around here.

Yesterday I was in a shop that caters to reloaders. They had any size primer you need for reloading ammo. Maybe not the exact brand you use, but they were there. I picked up another brick of large rifle, just "because." It seems to be the hardest to locate.

Anyway, I asked about #11 primers. They said manufacturers only run them certain times of the year. They also said that last season a guy walked in and bought an entire case, 10,000. That seriously diminished their supply. This place doesn't really cater to muzzleloader shooters. In fact they said they don't have that many requests for #11 primers.

My local Walmart, the one I mentioned above just on the outskirts of the KC Metro, stocks rifles, shotguns, scopes, clay pigeons, many hunting/shooting accessories and ammo for all of them, so I'm not sure that your experience holds true in all cases, earlwb, but thanks for your insight! I'll have to try one a little further out and see if that's the case around here.

Yeah they still sell guns, ammo etc at stores farther away from the big cities. This was mainly due to the civil unrest, rioting etc going on. Plus the rampant shoplifting and theft too. It seems to be based on demographics, theft rates etc in areas too. they also did stop selling military style guns and handguns as well as ammunition for those too. They also won’t sell a gun to someone if the background check takes too long as well. And you have to be 21 or older. In the big city areas there may not be anything on the shelves that is gun or hunting related.

What was annoying to me was trying to find someone with the keys to unlock the cabinet to get the item you wanted to buy out for you. They sometimes couldn’t find the keys.

I found them last year at Academy stores in Shreveport and Bossier City Louisiana and stocked up. I haven’t looked this year.

CCI makes percussion caps once a year the month of June only. I think they had a short run in 2023. Hopefully they will have a better run in 2024. By the way has anyone seen any CCI#11 Magnum caps? I like to use the magnums better spark. I'm a little low on the magnums but OK on the standard #11's.

View attachment 40837
I did the mag spark conversion before I knew about this thing which uses cans and cap gun rolls. #11 Percussion Cap Maker
I've got a mag spark also, it increased ignition reliability to almost 100%. The only issue I've had with it is that the primers tend to expand slightly and are hard to remove, not much of an issue if you're only firing a few shots, but if you're shooting at lots of ducks, it's much easier to use percussion caps.

They make kits that you can use to make your own caps, and if you're willing to spend your next mortgage payment, gun broker always has some for sale at around $30-$50 a tin that someone picked up at Walmart for $5.99.

I had to buy my first few tins off of GunBroker, I spent a few hundred dollars to get 500 caps. A few weeks later I saw them at Walmart for $5.99 each. I've got a box of them now.

Back