What's the best muzzleloader for under $400.00?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDX

Reaction score
I guess I should have posted this question first. What would be the best 'bang for the buck' (excuse the pun) for a new muzzleloader under $400.00 (bare rifle). I would be scoping it and may need to shoot beyond 100 yards. I want something that's accurate and easy to clean that would shoot 250gr sabots and 150gr of powder. I hunt in Sask and want a 209 ignition system. Thanks in advance.

Knight Rolling Block SS barrle Black comp. stck with shipping $ 302.00

Ron G.

There are so many high quality rifles in that price range it is hard to name them all. A lot will depend on what is legal where you live, what you want to hunt, what you want to shoot for a projectile, scope or no scope, and what kind of hunting situation will you encounter.

I would have to go with an Omega, Triumph, Rolling Block, and some of the older model Knight Rifles...

As far as muzzleloaders go, there is nothing that I have seen in the regs to make any of them illegal to hunt with here. I will be hunting white tail deer and possibly mullie, elk and moose. I will be mounting a scope (Nikon Omega more than likely) and may have to shoot out to 200 yards. I'll more than likely shoot Hornady or Barnes 250gr sabots and 150gr powder. I've heard that triple seven and Shockey's Gold are good powders to use. I talked to a guy tonight that has an Omega and said that he really likes it and it's easy to clean. Is it worth spending a little more and getting the Triumph? I don't really know what the differences are between them but if it's a better/more accurate rifle I would probably spend the extra to get it.

Nic_58 said:
I would lean towards the T/C Omega in SS/Synthetic. Natchez has them for $336.95 on their website. It meets your criteria because it is very accurate and is the easiest to clean ML that I've ever owned. The Omega is an awesome gun for the money!
http://natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=TC8924

That's the one I'd get too. After having shot a Triumph, I'd rather have the Omega. I like the Omegas stainless steel finish and one-piece stock.

big6x6 said:
Nic_58 said:
I would lean towards the T/C Omega in SS/Synthetic. Natchez has them for $336.95 on their website. It meets your criteria because it is very accurate and is the easiest to clean ML that I've ever owned. The Omega is an awesome gun for the money!
http://natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=TC8924

That's the one I'd get too. After having shot a Triumph, I'd rather have the Omega. I like the Omegas stainless steel finish and one-piece stock.

After looking at TC's website I was leaning towards the Triumph. Why do you prefer the Omega?

After looking at TC's website I was leaning towards the Triumph. Why do you prefer the Omega?

1. Hinges are supposed to be on doors, not on muzzleloaders.(break action)

2. Stainless steel not offered on Triumph.

3. One piece stock more conducive to better accuracy.

4. More finish/stock choices on Omega.

5. Omega is a proven design.

Chuck,
Have you found a conical that shoots good out of your Omega?

Cajun said:
Chuck,
Have you found a conical that shoots good out of your Omega?

I really never tried in my .50 cal Omega. My .45 Omega shot 225gr and 275gr Powerbelts really very good. That's all the conicals I ever tried in an Omega.

Latest posts

Back