what the heck happened?!?!?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What did the Sides of the primer cup look like that hang fired? Real sooty?

I am thinking that you somehow got carbon debris in the flash hole causing it to back up the primers own pressure some, causing the leakage around the primer and sooting up the action/barrel. When you do the flash channel scraping do you keep the rifles barrel tipped down, or do you tip it up and tap on the side of the barrel to get the debris out of the flash channel? If you keep it tipped down all the time and then use the nipple pick or just put another primer in, I would be concerned that the pick or the pressure from the primer would blow some of that carbon debris back into the flash hole. That's why I don't do this when the plug is still in my rifles, but that is just my thoughts on it. Just seems that it was working ok till you scraped and picked the Plug.

Do you remember what the primer looked like on the day you shot the Doe?

ronlaughlin said:
(edit, I see 5/16 flashole size, maybe thats it, I use a 5/32 drill bit on a Knight plug)

The flame channel cannot be 5/16". If it were the primer would not have a ledge to seat on, because the primer body is less than ¼" diameter.

TC flame channels are 1/8", as are the Blackhorn CVA plugs. Newer Knight plugs have a 5/32" flame channel. Standard CVA plugs have a 3mm flame channel.

You've obviously never seen my primers! :mrgreen:

Brain fart. Yes 5/32", not 5/16".

Attachments

• 20180108_213544.jpeg
    20180108_213544.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 280
Just make sure you reset your bullet if you have a misfire it will push the bullet off the powder and give you air space that's not good.

Busta said:
Lee 9 said:
It sounds like the touch hole in your BP is burned out check the size .

He said it was new and only had around 25 shots on it somewhere?

I just hope he used the one time tool to mate the plug to the rifle for the first time?

Pictures of the primers, breech plug, standing breech, inside of the receiver after firing would be most helpful in determining where the blowback problem is.
I set a V2 up for one of the club members here and it burn out the touch hole before I was done setting it up. I had to put a vent liner in it. I suspect they had a batch get out with out heat treat.

ShawnT said:
I am thinking that you somehow got carbon debris in the flash hole causing it to back up the primers own pressure some, causing the leakage around the primer and sooting up the action/barrel. When you do the flash channel scraping do you keep the rifles barrel tipped down, or do you tip it up and tap on the side of the barrel to get the debris out of the flash channel? If you keep it tipped down all the time and then use the nipple pick or just put another primer in, I would be concerned that the pick or the pressure from the primer would blow some of that carbon debris back into the flash hole. That's why I don't do this when the plug is still in my rifles, but that is just my thoughts on it. Just seems that it was working ok till you scraped and picked the Plug.

Do you remember what the primer looked like on the day you shot the Doe?

I didn't check but it didn't hang fire. :). I shot maybe 6 more shots after the hang fire and no issues except for light primer rise. I don't do it upright i do it muzzle pointed down so you maybe correct.

a1smokepole said:
Just make sure you reset your bullet if you have a misfire it will push the bullet off the powder and give you air space that's not good.
This didn't misfire it clicked, small bang/woosh, loud bang and surprisingly hit the 3'' shoot n see.

Latest posts

Back