What do you have on your ML??? Fixed or Variable? Brand?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyelkhunter3006

Reaction score
Just curious as to what eveyone has on their rifle. I need a couple of scopes, I'm thinking that I'm just going with a fixed 4x this time. I always set the power on my variables at 4x or 5x and never even think to change it.

I have Leupold variables on my Omegas, but I do a lot of range work. 9x for the range and testing loads, and 4x for 90% of my hunting.

It would not bother me a bit to hunt with a good, solid fixed 4x.

Nikon Omega 3x9x40 with the BDC (i need all the help i can get) on all three of our MLs. We shoot 250 gr bullets in two and 300 gr in the other. So far, only had the chance to shoot to 150 yards and the BDC has been right on shooting with 110 grs of BH 209 powder.

We have lots of shots at deer past 100 yards in the open bean and corn fields here in NW Iowa so I wouldn't put anything less than a 3x9 on our MLs. My nephew shot a 180 class buck last year during the late muzzleloader season at 197 yards. I believe he was using at least a 14x scope and placed his 250 gr bullet through the buck's heart and lungs. It was all on video!

So, I like variable power scopes and they're worth every penny in our neck of the woods.

scope

II am used to the 3x9 form the old cf days. Also I like to dial up when looking at a buck out there some. I see horns I am on the buck in the scope not the binocs. I use bnocs to scan only. I

Fixed 4.75x40mm Weaver Grand Slams on both of mine. Perfect scopes for muzzleloading rifles.

One 2-7 nikon prostaff,three 1.75-4 bushnell trophy's.....karl

wildhobbybobby said:
Fixed 4.75x40mm Weaver Grand Slams on both of mine. Perfect scopes for muzzleloading rifles.

That's the best scope for any big game rifle, IMO. I had TWO and I foolishly sold them. Now you can't find them anywhere since Weaver dropped it. Saw a used one on ebay a few days ago for $200.... :? I didn't pay that for my new ones.

Upon reflection, I've got a couple of scopes sitting around collecting dust, so the best choice (financially anyway) would to to just use them. :idea:

One's a Simmons Master Series Pro Hunter 3-10x44 (probably the same scope that the "new" 44 Mag is). Lots of people don't like the new ones, but I've had this for a couple years and on a few different rifles and it's worked perfectly. I got it in a partial trade for some other stuff and I really can't fault the scope at all. Could be a bit clearer I guess, but it works fine in any light that's legal to hunt. Tons of eye relief, probably 4" or so. Don't have to worry about getting bit with it.

The other is a Bushnell Trophy 1.75-4x32 with the Circle-X reticle. I bought it because I happened to get on ebay with a few minutes left in the auction and picked it up for $62 shipped, and it's NEW in the box. That's a good deal, so I figured, what the heck, I'll use it for something, sometime.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wildhobbybobby wrote:

That's the best scope for any big game rifle, IMO. I had TWO and I foolishly sold them. Now you can't find them anywhere since Weaver dropped it. Saw a used one on ebay a few days ago for $200.... I didn't pay that for my new ones.

I had four of those scopes and sold one to a friend. I have 3 left, and am going to install one on a .340 Weatherby instead of the Leupold 2 1/2x - 8x Vari-XIII that is on it now. As I have gotten older and (hopefully) wiser, I have really come to appreciate and prefer the rugged elegance of fixed power scopes. I now have 9 of them on various rifles.

They are very bright and much less likely to break than any variable and don't tempt you to be fiddling with the power ring when you should be squeezing the trigger. Simple is best.

If you want a nice rugged fixed power scope that won't break the bank, the Weaver Classic K-Series 4x and 6x scopes are great. I have 3 of the K-6 scopes and they are amazing. Great brightness and resolution and I have never had a problem with them. You can get them for about $130.00 or so brand new.

I also have a K-2.5 that has now been sadly discontinued. It sits on a .358 and is a dandy.

Scope

Leupold VX-II 1-4x, good for thick woods where I mostly hunt and enough if had to reach out in one of the few fields.

I use a Bushnell Ledgend 3x9x40 that I dearly love. I would say use what you are comfortable with.

I have 6.5x20s on my two MLs. They are however smokeless Savage MLs and I hunt out of tall fixed stands on my own farm and rebarreled with a Krieger and a PacNor barrel.
For more standard use I might use a fixed scope or a lower power variable, depending on the application.

I have a Burris 3x9x40...

It seems like a good scope. No problems with it, seems real solid..

But, I think I am going to go Leupold from now on. I have a VX III on my slug gun, and it is real nice..The difference between the two scopes---Can not really explain it,,,but when I shoulder the Leupold scoped firearm, the sight picture just jumps out at you, nice clear, and right there.

The Burris was half the price though. And it works absolutely fine. But my next scope will be a Leupold,(VXIII) most definetely. It will be replacing a Simmons scope on my Savage 30-06..It was a combo I bought around 10 years ago. The Simmons, I would have to say, took a lot of abuse. My sling stud broke one day, sending my rifle down a steep trail on to some rocks. It was dented, but still worked great, not even losing it's zero...But it is a dark scope,,cheap and dark...But I guess the deer never noticed!

leupy vxiii 3.5x10x50 with leupy rings and bases

love the glass

Latest posts

Back